Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
weve

Re: Just thought I'd share some pics of my garden

Post by weve »

Great pics-thanks for posting. The Dicksonia antarctica fronds look amazing, do you give it any special treatment?
thanks
weve
kata

Post by kata »

I found it..the Lobelia cardinalis on a Flash drive I have,

Also looked in the garden, seems to be alive :lol: :lol: Great thing about taking last minute images before winter you have an idea where they should be.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lovely pics kris, your garden is amazing im hoping to have an exotic garden like yours soon, im doing a lot of my growing from seed. My canna's are growing well and my Dicksonia antarctica is only a baby with no trunk but still looks gorgeous. My palms haven't grown yet but my success rate on these are very low. lol. Im even thinking about buying a blood vein bananna.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Kris, looks great, I'm going to have to get myself some of that Lobelia now. 8)

But most of all, those treeferns really set the scene, hope they are still doing well there for you. :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Like a lots of people I've got a small garden but big plans!

No special treatment on the tree ferns. I simply water them every day come rain or shine from May till autumn. I was worried that this would be too much but seems to work. The only problem I found was that the gingers planted close by got too wet in May/June last year when the weather wasn't that warm and died back a bit. The large fern was planted pretty deeply (about 1foot) so I guess this helps with water update (and some nutrients??)

This winter has been a real test of hardiness for the ferns. Not just the minimum temps, but the days if not weeks of really lows temps. Lowest recorded was -7.8 at 1 foot above the ground. The big tree fern is ok but a smaller one is probably a gonner (lots of brown mushy knuckles)

I like to have lots of colour in the garden and the cadinalis, coleus and cannas really deliver (all really cheap too!)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

may i ask how long you have been playing around with colour? im having my first year with it and wondered how long i may have to wait to achieve something as good icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Great garden Kris, and IMO vibrant colour is as important in an exotic garden as leaf size and shape. Reds are the most tropical colour but need some green to show it off to it's best effect. Love that Lobelia, I have clumps in the pond. Your Dicksonia antarctica are something else icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

I love the Dicksonia antarctica's :lol: looks very cosy icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Again cheers for the encouraging comments.

Regarding gardening with colour. This is what my garden looked like in early 2008! So answer to your question Red Squirrel only a couple of years.

I am going to plant more plants this year rather than rely on bulbs and bedding, but still keep my palms in pots.
Attachments
small.jpg
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nice garden Kris, and it's even better when compared to how bare it was just two short years ago.... icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

thanks for sharing that Kris, that is amazing turn around
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi all,

Just thought I,d give an update on my garden. I lot has grown much better this year with the hot weather. Had lots of trouble with Red Spider Mite this year which held back the colocasias and Bananas. Most pleased with my £20 cycad which survived the winter with no leaf loss. Lost a Dicksonia antarctica tho.

Kris
Attachments
DSCN2525.JPG
DSCN2523.JPG
DSCN2522.JPG
DSCN2521.JPG
DSCN2520.JPG
DSCN2519.JPG
DSCN2518.JPG
DSCN2516.JPG
DSCN2515.JPG
DSCN2514.JPG
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

and a couple more (papyrus from seed last september)
Attachments
DSCN2512.JPG
DSCN2513.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Beautiful plants Kris!

I like the palm in the black pot, it look really nice too.

:mrgreen:
dk

Post by dk »

Very interesting garden Kris, a great range of plants too! My favorite bit is your arid bed and the potted chamaerops in the background icon_thumleft