Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
kata

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog March gardening, sleeper video 2

Post by kata »

Kata, that wouldn't help in this case as they are just screenshots.
Oh, I understand G, thanks!

icon_cheers
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

pdid wrote:Have you thought about putting perforated drainage pipe in the channels at the bottom of the ditches? It's available fairly cheaply at most builders merchants and I think it would drain better than just gravel which may get silted up.
i personally went with augering about five 6inch wide holes with a post hole auger at the dampiest spots in my garden that some water built up, around 3-4 foot down i think, used that drain pipe sock, and filled pea gravel inside, popped it into the hole, and tied it at the top , filled the outside of the sock with grit - and filled the upmost top bit back with soil.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

ConcreteJungle wrote:
pdid wrote:Have you thought about putting perforated drainage pipe in the channels at the bottom of the ditches? It's available fairly cheaply at most builders merchants and I think it would drain better than just gravel which may get silted up.
i personally went with augering about five 6inch wide holes with a post hole auger at the dampiest spots in my garden that some water built up, around 3-4 foot down i think, used that drain pipe sock, and filled pea gravel inside, popped it into the hole, and tied it at the top , filled the outside of the sock with grit - and filled the upmost top bit back with soil.

If I was going to cover the drainage area with soil I would have laid down drainage pipes but as the ditches are filled with gravel with a weed supressing membrane under it I don't think they will silt up much if at all as the soil wont pass through the membrane.

I will use some piping for the last section where soil will go over the top of the channel.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

New fence to baffle the wind and to stop the cows eating my plants.
Attachments
10154215_475372605897884_1838070776_n.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:New fence to baffle the wind and to stop the cows eating my plants.
what happened to all the plants you'd put at the back Kris? could of sworn i'd seen a pic of hawthorn or something planted?

Love the wind baffling idea icon_cheers Can't beat a secluded garden on a windy day to excape it all and soak up the heat icon_sunny
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:New fence to baffle the wind and to stop the cows eating my plants.
what happened to all the plants you'd put at the back Kris? could of sworn i'd seen a pic of hawthorn or something planted?

Love the wind baffling idea icon_cheers Can't beat a secluded garden on a windy day to excape it all and soak up the heat icon_sunny

Believe it or not there are 50 Hawthorns, 25? Buckthorns, 2 bamboos a fatsia and 4 Eucs in or near the above photo!

Hopefully they'll establish now that the cows cant munch on them and the wind doesn't burn them.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

My parents house borders field and that is a necessity, cows will eat pretty much anything, including scots pines :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cheshirepalms wrote:
My parents house borders field and that is a necessity, cows will eat pretty much anything, including scots pines :lol:

Yeah I found that out last year (note the de-leaved Fatsia between the two bamboos on the left. icon_aaargh

I still want to see the cows, hence the see-through boundary solution.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Post by cheshirepalms »

Good idea, its certainly a very nice backdrop to your garden and a huge plus point to not be overlooked. icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

No cows around these here parts :(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Good idea icon_thumleft

You could always have had someone named Pat stand guard :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
If I was going to cover the drainage area with soil I would have laid down drainage pipes but as the ditches are filled with gravel with a weed supressing membrane under it I don't think they will silt up much if at all as the soil wont pass through the membrane.

I will use some piping for the last section where soil will go over the top of the channel.
If it were me I would definitely put perforated drainage pipe in them - even if just the 2" version. The pipe creates a decent hollow "through" the gravel, which lets the water travel much more quickly, so will be far more effective - in particular when we get long and persistent rain like last Winter and Summer of 2012.

For sure you only want to do it once - retro-fit will be a PITA!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

But do I need the the water to drain that quickly away? The water once in the channels means it below the level of the raised beds and all eventually drains down the the lowest point where I have dug a hole which I intend to channel into a ditch/pond.
Yorkshire Kris

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog: drainage

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here's the drainage channel after last nights rain. (photo taken just now 20 hours later)
Attachments
P1070863.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is that good or bad?