Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
The Codfather

Re: Arlons Blog: Water feature and fake rock project

Post by The Codfather »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . Unreal....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Delboy wrote:Great pics, its definately high up on my wants list, just need to find one that doesnt have silly p&p.
Del, Phil just had my last small division which found entirely by chance in an old site where a tabby was planted, otherwise i would've helped you out.

[/quote]

No worries mate i know you would icon_thumleft

Ive found some for sale, for as little as £3.50 but then they wanted £11 postage :shock:

I want to get a few other plants for my fern area so will probably get them all from the same place to save on postage.

Now back to that pond of yours :shock: looks absolutely brilliant, looks like its been there for years, i dont know how you do it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Here's the vid of the fake rock pond, i hope you enjoy it. (Only two and a half minutes or so )

Fantastic effort, it looks very effective and realistic. A great addition to the garden. Thanks for posting icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Thanks for the kind comments............. icon_salut

I have been asked by a few people ( even a guy in minneapolis ) if i could do a vid showing me actually doing the work. So, i found some pretty raw video of the next two projects which were the "faux rock agave bed" and a "cycad bed" as well. It isn't the best quality as its taken on a camera / phone thingy but i'll incorporate it into the next vids instead of, or as well as, the still progress shots. Hopefully you'll see how easy it is and have a crack at it.

The vid might be a while tho........... :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon, that is superb mate, not only look's wise but to hear the running water in a tropical setting just adds another level!.......... I may soon be a copycat :lol: . karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

karl66 wrote: I may soon be a copycat :lol: . karl.
Go for it Karl, like me you probs got loads of old bricks etc hanging about. Would've cost me £100 for a skip or many , many trips to the dump. In the end it took about £30's worth of sand 'n' cement and ended up with a nice enough feature.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Thanks for the kind comments............. icon_salut

I have been asked by a few people ( even a guy in minneapolis ) if i could do a vid showing me actually doing the work. So, i found some pretty raw video of the next two projects which were the "faux rock agave bed" and a "cycad bed" as well. It isn't the best quality as its taken on a camera / phone thingy but i'll incorporate it into the next vids instead of, or as well as, the still progress shots. Hopefully you'll see how easy it is and have a crack at it.

The vid might be a while tho........... :lol:

INTERESTED icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
Bob

Post by Bob »

cordyman wrote:
Deedee wrote:
Delboy wrote:Who's Bob icon_scratch :lol:

That would be great DeeDee, hopefully i will find one for a good price, but if not i would definately be up that icon_thumleft
Ok Delboy its a deal icon_thumleft

Yes Cordy, That Bob :mrgreen: He doesen't visit HTUK as much now, pity as he has a great sense of humour and great garden...
He sent me this bulb as well, and it survived the winter outside..isnt it lovely.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Thats a corker!! :D

We need to get him posting more icon_thumleft

Thanks for remembering me Cordy, icon_salut Dee also. icon_thumright .

Been a bit busy rebuilding the entire inside of the new/old bungalow so no gardening or time to spend on forums just yet but as Arnie say's, "I'll be back!!!" :wink:

Great blog Mark, icon_salut loving those rocks!!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

You not finished the bungalow yet Bob? i thought you would be onto the garden by now :D Nice to "see you" again, even if you are only poppin in while waiting for the first coat of paint to dry icon_thumleft
Bob

Post by Bob »

Deedee wrote:You not finished the bungalow yet Bob? i thought you would be onto the garden by now :D Nice to "see you" again, even if you are only poppin in while waiting for the first coat of paint to dry icon_thumleft
It's evenings and weekends Dee as I'm working full time (I know your'e kidding :lol: ) so will be a while yet. I've been reliably informed I'll be needing a jcb with a 'pecker' as theres a lot of rock just underneath the sloping lawns. :shock:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Bob wrote:
Deedee wrote:You not finished the bungalow yet Bob? i thought you would be onto the garden by now :D Nice to "see you" again, even if you are only poppin in while waiting for the first coat of paint to dry icon_thumleft
It's evenings and weekends Dee as I'm working full time (I know your'e kidding :lol: ) so will be a while yet. I've been reliably informed I'll be needing a jcb with a 'pecker' as theres a lot of rock just underneath the sloping lawns. :shock:
Noooooo! your on a hill as well, thats going to be a big job, A rock garden will be the way to go then :)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Bob wrote:but as Arnie say's, "I'll be back!!!" :wink:
With loads of pics i hope .............. icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Arlons Blog: Potential disaster ? my cycads flushing

Most people would be happy with a cycad flush. In this particular case , its the last thing i wanted.Back a couple of years ago i was given a nice trunked C. revoluta as a freebie by Akamba. It had an amazing full head of lush fronds but the root ball sustained damage and basically it was rootless. The fronds gradually yellowed and were eventually removed when there was no green left in them to recycle.Since then i've been trying to coax it back with heat mats, greenhouse heat etc etc. A few months ago it started to send out some nice roots...........magic .

(my foot for scale)

Nice roots forming....

Well, the last thing i wanted was a flush as without sufficient root, it will draw reserves from the caudex and possibly weaken the overall health of the plant.

Yesterday, guess what its flushing............ :(

To aid it along, i've given the pot a good feed with liquid seaweed and also sprayed the caudex with the same solution. Hopefully it'll all turn out ok but could do without the flush
miketropic

Re: Arlons Blog: Potential disaster looming ? my cycads flus

Post by miketropic »

your a real believer..seeing somthing that looked like that would have went over the hill a long time ago but you brought it back to life...
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Potential disaster looming ? my cycads flus

miketropic wrote:your a real believer..seeing somthing that looked like that would have went over the hill a long time ago but you brought it back to life...
Worth the effort i think , Mike, as larger trunked revo's can be silly money over here. I guess they'd be a lot cheaper where you are as they're much more common place.