Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Nick

Re: Arlons Blog: Cycas circinalis flush

Post by Nick »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
What a lovely cycad. The growth rate figures are a helpful aid. How do you overwinter such a large plant ?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Nick wrote: How do you overwinter such a large plant ?
Indoors as a houseplant
Arlon Tishmarsh

The high temps (31.8 today) seem to have triggered some more cycads to flush. Another Cycas revoluta outside has begun a flush ..............

and if i'm not mistaken, i think another two revoluta's and a Cycas rhumpi are about to follow....
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Thanks for sharing only ever seen a revaluta flush so it was especially nice to see. icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Thanks for sharing only ever seen a revaluta flush so it was especially nice to see. icon_thumleft
What was interesting was it started and ended its flush at the same time as a revoluta, almost to the day. Interesting to note as well that the higher the temp went in the greenhouse , then the overnight growth sometimes doubled on the circinalis.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I may have to move My Cycas r in the greenhouse as the stupind thing will not flush for love nor money and its looking poor now....it flushed 3 years when I bought and thats it....even in this heat, it has not budged.

The greenhouse has been 40c to 50C at the moment......ferking stupid thing.....it will either flush in there or fry :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

The Codfather wrote:I may have to move My Cycas r in the greenhouse as the stupind thing will not flush :lol:
Probably the best place for it. If its any help, i don't go for the prolonged dunking in water method. Mine get watered fed as normal but when the temps pick up, i just pour 1litre (ish) of warm water over the caudex , with half strength liquid seaweed every few days or so...........thats it. Seems to work for me. All mine are outside now except for the large caudex one which is rerooting etc.

As much sun and heat as you can .... icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

So basically......put it in there to flush and then bring it back out once its done.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

The Codfather wrote:So basically......put it in there to flush and then bring it back out once its done.
You could put it in there until it starts a flush and then move it back out. Alternatively, let it flush completely in the g/h but don't forget to mark the orientation of the pot, otherwise the fronds could / will twist out of shape when you move it back outside.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_salut
AKA - Martin

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

looking good arlon, has anyone got a pic of a "moved pot" flush, and how disastrous it can be? :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Well, the flush on the revo i put a pic up of earlier continues to do well. Its pushed out about 10 inches by the this morning

I'm not going to timelapse this one , as i did it last year. For anyone who'd like another gander..............

and also a nice little surprise / oddity perhaps is the little fig cutting i took from a friends plant late last year that has started fruiting. Its still only a small plant less than a foot high. I was quite surprised to see not just one but four fruits on it...

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Cycad's flushing

A quick pic update on the flush..........

6 days on from the last pic, the flush on this cycas revoluta is going very well outside....

and the following pic which is the latest cycad to start a flush, brings it to a total of 3 out 4 revoluta's which are now flushing, the 4th having flushed last year.

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow you lucky Duck, wanna see mine :mrgreen: I must admit im buzzing tho..

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Took Arlons advice and moved mine into the greenhouse and its flushing now icon_thumright
AKA - Martin