Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: Arlons Blog: Cyathea cooperi spore propagation

Post by Tom2006 »

Keep us updated would be great if you could. Got a baby Antarctica growing in one of my bonsai pots that I left underneath my Dicksonia antarctica over last winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
call

Post by call »

good luck icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I like the idea of microwaving the compost. I think I'm going to get some C Robusta and some other unusual tree ferns and have a go now?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Pretty sure that there is an impressive thread about propagating ferns from spores on GOTE - might be one of Edwardo's(sp?)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Kristen wrote:Pretty sure that there is an impressive thread about propagating ferns from spores on GOTE - might be one of Edwardo's(sp?)
I remember reading it a while back K but haven't had time to go looking for it again. I'll have another look later, he's the man to learn from for sure
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Jumbo heated propagator has arrived

Bio Green Jumbo heated propagator

It finally arrived today, a BioGreen heated propagator. Thermostatically controlled from 0 / 40 deg and measuring approx 4 foot by 2 foot. I've temporarily set it up in a bedroom i'm currently wrecking, on top of my pasting table and an old door.#

A layer of sand on top of the heating element and just about to bury the sensor ..........

A tray for scale..........

A couple of plants going in for now............

and "snug as a bug in Brucie's rug".........

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

looks a great piece of kit, I wouldn't mind one to get properly in to cultivating Cyathea as tree ferns are the only seed/ spore I'm really interested in propagating. icon_thumleft
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

Looks great , I received a vitopod double layered propagator as a Christmas present , I have it set up in the garage set at 20c and so far its probaly the most accurate one that I have ever had .Hedychium and colocasia have started to grow already. It was a choice of the one you have and the vitopod , hope yours is great as well. icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Very nice Arlon! How is your Indian odora doing? Have you put that in there as well or left it more cool with it being not too heat dependent.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Looks a pretty good set-up, Arlon. Keep us informed of all the positives (and negatives, if any)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

looks brilliant icon_thumright
even better now the paste tables out of action, more time for festivities?????
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

These are awesome! I got my first one in 2012 then got another this year.
Also useful to have the extra thermostats to use with heaters too when not using the props! icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

showoff
kata

Post by kata »

It has the look of a polytunnel

Great size!
icon_sunny
Arlon Tishmarsh

fern Rob wrote: I wouldn't mind one to get properly in to cultivating Cyathea icon_thumleft
Cooperi spore is in there Rob, nothing happening yet tho.
robbie44 wrote: I received a vitopod double layered propagator as a Christmas present , icon_thumleft
Had to google yours Robbie , very nice and not cheap either. I was extremely fortunate and got mine for the cost of the postage. Not cheap are they, so i'm well chuffed.
Somerset77 wrote:These are awesome! I got my first one in 2012 then got another this year.
Also useful to have the extra thermostats to use with heaters too when not using the props! icon_thumleft
Glad to hear it but two, that must take up some room... :lol:
I've had a separate thermometer in there overnight to check it against the built stat
GREVILLE wrote:Looks a pretty good set-up, Arlon. Keep us informed of all the positives (and negatives, if any)
Will do Grev.... icon_thumright
kata wrote:It has the look of a polytunnel, Great size!
icon_sunny
On cold night i can climb in myself and keep warm....... :lol:
miketropic wrote:showoff
:mrgreen: ............ :lol:
redsquirrel wrote:looks brilliant icon_thumright
It's Mike's prop. Can't believe he was going to bin it, its like new. Can't thank him enough. An extremely generous gesture considering how much they cost.
sanatic1234 wrote:Very nice Arlon! How is your Indian odora doing? Have you put that in there as well or left it more cool with it being too heat dependent.
Thats your baby in pic 2 San. Its been kept cool up until now, just gently ticking over. Its about to break a new leaf out tho and will now stay in the prop