Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Madahlia

Re: New house, 7 days to create a garden

Post by Madahlia »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: ain't got a clue about the PH , i know the test is simple enough but its black deep and looks good, the soil that is. :ahhh!:
If you tell us what the key shrubs are we can have a guess at the PH of the soil. For example, camellia, rhodos, pieris, most heathers etc only grow well on acid soil, so if you have them it most probably is acid to some degree.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Sorry i didn't reply M, cream crackered last night. Topped about 30m of conifer screening last night. Hopefully today i'll make a start marking out and start shifting some muck. Shrubs, there weren't many here, Camellia, choiycia (i think its spelt, you'll know what i mean anyway)

Not worth any pics at the mo, but will post more .

Rgds
Mark
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

keep it coming mark,Brian is doing the same and it does make for an interesting topic. have you got a big alsation for the pics too,they seem to set the plants off a treat and good guide as to size etc icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Arlon Tishmarsh

If i'm still here Red
Brian

Post by Brian »

redsquirrel wrote:keep it coming mark,Brian is doing the same and it does make for an interesting topic. have you got a big alsatian for the pics too,they seem to set the plants off a treat and good guide as to size etc icon_thumright icon_thumright

Alsatian's also have big feet to stomp all over my plants too, he is a good boy most of the time but he does forget himself when the kids have been winding him up and he does laps of the garden including all over the flower beds :x
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

:lol: :lol: must be good to watch everyone happy though.i do like dogs
dino

Post by dino »

I finally moved into my new house on Monday along with all my potted plants.
Just assessing where the sun/shade is at different times of day at the moment.
There's a lot of shrubs in at the moment and probably I'll only do one side this year as I don't want to rush it and have to replant later and I'd advise you do the same.
But if you crack it in 7 days I'll take my hat off to you.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

come on then Dino,are you doing a photo shoot too??
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dino,
be great to see some photo's / idea's of yours, perhaps pinch a few. As much as i would like to take my time i have so much work to get done inside the house. If i can get a good basic garden done, within my targeted seven days, i'll be content with that. As long as i can get something sorted for the family to sit out as i say i'll be happy.
Rgds
Mark
Arlon Tishmarsh

Brian
my apologies, didn't mean to not reply. GSD's for me are the perfect dog. Over the years we've had 2 from pups and a rescue. I don't think there's another dog that compares to them, all ours were long haired.
Tea break over, back to the shovel , head down and butt up.
Hopefully a few pic updates later if not 2morrow
Rgds
Mark
Brian

Post by Brian »

Mark it alright you didn't have to reply i was trying not to hijack you post to much :lol: My GSD is also long haired short haired GSD's are way to expensive, I think over the years they got a bad rep for being vicious ( to many chained up in scrap yards :lol: )but mine is as placid as anything, my two kids try to ride him around the garden :roll:
Arlon Tishmarsh

End of day three, a few pics to show a bit of progress or lack of it, as the case may be.
Trying a few idea's out by shaping the grass. Trying to work with whats there rather than work against the garden.
Attachments
small_DSC00531.JPG
small_DSC00533.JPG
small_DSC00534.JPG
small_DSC00532.JPG
small_DSC00535.JPG
small_DSC00536.JPG
small_DSC00537.JPG
Arlon Tishmarsh

Mark it alright you didn't have to reply i was trying not to hijack you post to much
Brian, you can highjack my shovel and barrow if you like. :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the big circle near the tree would look good raised up with all the rubbish you are digging out,topped with a lorry load of granite chippings and filled with yuccas and agaves.
i can see what you mean by in the mud earier,you really have been busy icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Brian

Post by Brian »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Mark it alright you didn't have to reply i was trying not to hijack you post to much
Brian, you can hijack my shovel and barrow if you like. :D
:lol: No thanks, Hopefully my time spent shifting topsoil is over with now :D