Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
jungle jas

Re: Arlons Blog: Jumbo heated propagator has arrived

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon, be very careful with the cover, they tend to come apart at the seams, I don't know if you can obtain replacements? Apart from that they are excellent. Happy growing in the New Year. icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Keep the sand moist (to transmit heat) but I am sure that you know that already :)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Is it! Looks different :lol: It has already put out another leave then since you have had it? It will romp away on that prop mate, I have my others just ticking over in a cool room. Waiting to jump back into growth again. :-)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

jungle jas wrote:Arlon, be very careful with the cover, they tend to come apart at the seams, I don't know if you can obtain replacements? Apart from that they are excellent. Happy growing in the New Year. icon_thumright
and you too Jas icon_thumleft

p.s i found replacement covers for just under £20 but hopefully won't need one for a long while.
Kristen wrote:Keep the sand moist (to transmit heat) but I am sure that you know that already :)
I've put a membrane on top of the sand now to stop the never ending cycle of sand drying out and having to remoisturize. Also it'll stop the cover getting over saturated with condensation.
sanatic1234 wrote: I have my others just ticking over in a cool room. :-)
Same here San, the AliMac is slowly growing as is the AliCali. My big mammoths are just opening their first new leaves, fontanesii and a host of others like Hawaiian eye are all still in leaf. Should be a good year ....... icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Alocasia macrorrhizos : a winters tale.

Alocasia macrorrhizos : a winters tale.

How low can one go ?

A couple of years i bought a tiny plant of the above from one of our members. It came with good growing instructions etc etc. I potted it on and put it in the greenhouse to get it going. Time went by and it did nothing but sit their sticking its tongue out at me. So i thought, i'll plant it outside in the aroid bed as all the other plants in there all did very well. Time went by and it grew a bit but nothing like i expected. By this time the winter of 2012 /13 was on the horizon ,so i decided to pot it up and put it back in the greenhouse to give it more time .

The Alimac and i weren't getting on, i hated the plant . As winter arrived i stuffed the greenhouse with "overwinterers" etc and forgot all about the the Alimac. Suffice to say, it stayed in there for the entire winter period with the greenhouse dropping to a low of -6.7deg.

Spring of 2013 eventually came along and gradually i emptied the greenhouse and started putting plants out. Well, "bless me cotton socks" as me nan would say, stood in the corner was AliMac still in full foliage and just as i had put it in there. I was totally amazed..........
:shock: :shock: :shock: .......see i told you i was amazed.
I'd forgotten totally about this fella and there he was doing what he shouldn't have been doing..........being alive. I can only think that the dry compost and shelter from the other plants kept it ticking over. I had gained a whole lot of new respect for this little plant. This is basically how it looked coming out of the greenhouse....

The story doesn't end there. The weather warmed up and various plants started popping out of the ground. Most days i'd walk passed the aroid bed and i couldn't help noticing a glossy leaf sprouting out. As it grew a little bigger each day, i thought it must be some of the zantedeschia i'd been spreading about the previous season. It grew and grew and turned out to be this little fella.............

Son of AliMac....

This little fella not only survived the cold but the rain and all else that was thrown at it in open ground. The aroid bed is very well drained, so more than likely the saving of the plant. When digging AliMac out, i must have nipped some of it off with the shovel / knife . I've only ever had the one so no other plausible explantation really.

So, a happy ending to what should have been a total disaster. Son of AliMac went to a friend of mine who auctioned it off for one of her fundraising drives and it now resides with a HT member as far as i'm aware..............
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Great story, would read again icon_salut icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Well Golly Gosh!!

:lol: :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I hate these butters, almost impossible to kill but really hard to get to grow.

seems it was a happy ending for you though
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Give that big one some HEAT..I mean like oven baking heat and it will grow on well for you. a good spot in ALL DAY sun over there would get you the speed your looking for from it.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Pleased to hear how this is doing , Arlon. My old Alimac is growing well in the silly warmth of the local school with a new leaf and roller since placing it there in November. When younger it was often overwintered in the frost-free greenhouse and I would still get a new leaf by the following Spring, so they CAN move in the cool of Winter.

My recently acquired 'cooler growing' calidora and portora are also at the school and these are growing like it's summer.

My non-variegated variegated Alimac which is never going to give me any white splashes is also doing well at home in a sunny window on a glass topped cabinet (allowed for catching the drips!)
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Hi MikeTropic, All day sun. Whats that then????? haha!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: New arrival, Cycas thouarsii

New arrival, Cycas thouarsii

The Cycas thouarsii i ordered from PalmPerPaket.de has just arrived. Really pleased with the quality, outstanding. Equally impressive is the lifting system for getting it out of the tall box. This is my first order from them and definately won't be the last ............

and a bonus, its flushing.......

Happy days ...... icon_thumleft
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Looks great Mark. Good buy
kata

Post by kata »

Very nice Cycas Arlon

icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54