Solar eclipse Australia 2012

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Troppoz

Solar eclipse Australia 2012

Post by Troppoz »

I was privileged to witness a partial solar eclipse this morning here in Darwin, wasnt total here but something like 96% but made for an awesome sunrise nonetheless. I woke up at 5.30 to get to a good vantage point to watch the sunrise at 6am and while unfortunately some cloud obscured the sun when the eclipse was at maximum I got a few decent photos as it rose higher though with less of the eclipse visible.

Ive got a mate in Cairns who sent me a text saying that he had a great view of the total eclipse over the Coral Sea and is going to email me some pictures so Ill post those when I receive them.

In the meantime here are some of mine and a news clip about the eclipse:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-13/t ... .svl=news1

icon_sunny
Attachments
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
fieldfest

Re: Solar eclipse Australia 2012

Post by fieldfest »

nice pics, we had a partial eclipse where I am a few years ago and it was cloudy so didnt see anything
dino

Post by dino »

Beautiful icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That was worth getting up early for Sean icon_thumright

We had a partial eclipse back in the late nineties. It was in the afternoon in August, and was really weird. The sunlight went from bright summer levels to a watery December level in about 10 minutes, and the temp fell from 22C to 14C in 20 mins. I think is was about 40% eclipse. Just shows what a drop in the power of the sun would do :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Trudytropics »

Stunning pictures Sean :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

We had a partial eclipse here early last year, but the best one was on 11th August 1999, there was a total eclipse in Cornwall & south Devon, but even here it was around 99%. I took the day off work as the local radio station were having a 'Party In The Dark' on Southsea seafront. It was quite cloudy, but the sky did clear enough to be able to witness it. It got dark & cooled down very quickly & everything went still, quite an eerie experience! Don't have any photo's but this shows what it looked like from Portsmouth icon_thumleft
Attachments
Portsmoutheclipse.gif
Portsmoutheclipse.gif (4.16 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nathan wrote:the best one was on 11th August 1999, there was a total eclipse in Cornwall & south Devon, but even here it was around 99%.
That's the one, didn't realise it was total in Cornwall, so must have been more than 40% here. Couldn't look at it properly as was looking in water reflections.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fieldfest »

i didnt realise it was so long ago, but remember cornwall being in gridlock on the news
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Dave Brown wrote:
Nathan wrote:the best one was on 11th August 1999, there was a total eclipse in Cornwall & south Devon, but even here it was around 99%.
That's the one, didn't realise it was total in Cornwall, so must have been more than 40% here. Couldn't look at it properly as was looking in water reflections.
Yes much more than 40%. London was about 97% so would have been similar to where you are icon_thumright
Attachments
Londoneclipse.gif
Londoneclipse.gif (4.21 KiB) Viewed 2144 times