‘DEATH TRAP’ ALERT OVER WINTER FOOD LEFT OUT FOR BIRDS'

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
kata

‘DEATH TRAP’ ALERT OVER WINTER FOOD LEFT OUT FOR BIRDS'

Post by kata »

BIRD-LOVERS are killing their feathered friends with kindness – putting out food in fine plastic nets that are death traps.
This was the warning yesterday from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, which fears some Britons are doing harm to the very birds they are trying to help to survive.

As winter sets in the charity recommended that treats such as fat balls, seeds and peanuts should be put in suitable feeders.

Val Osborne, its head of wildlife inquiries, said: “The netting that surrounds fat balls, peanuts and seed sold for bird food is one of the most dangerous things in our gardens.

Mine when they do visit which is hardly ever don't like fat balls anyway. I noticed the one I did hang on the line in the summer is untouched but sprouting green shoots... :lol: :lol:

The birds at my other bungalow never liked them either.

I use the one on the site for peanuts.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/362 ... -for-birds
musabasjoos

Re: ‘DEATH TRAP’ ALERT OVER WINTER FOOD LEFT OUT FOR BIRDS'

Post by musabasjoos »

I've never used that plastic netting, which it quite lucky as we do have a lot of birds in the garden.

They refuse to eat the fat balls like Yours Kata, the thing they're like more than anything are black sunflower seeds.
kata

Post by kata »

Mine would never eat Sunflowers either Musa but loved the peanuts,

My birds were so unbelivably fussy. I loved watching them acrobat the feeders, I could watch them undetected from the lounge window which was double aspect.

They had the freedom of the garden with just the odd Squrrel running along the top of the fence.

Never see birds here and I really miss them.

Thanks!!

:( :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

I put the netted fatballs inside a fatball feeder. Hadn't been a problem, until a magpie learnt to open the top and pull them out :roll:
Its been wired closed now, so no more green netting strewn over the garden