Bird feeding

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
kracker

Bird feeding

Post by kracker »

I was at my local sainsburys this morning and today the reduced all the big pots of sweat mincemeat in the home baking isle from £3 to 30p for a 1.6kg i bought a shed load last year for the same price i rinsed off all the goo and soaked the fruit over night and had nice big plump fruits the black birds love these 24kg bought today ...
icon_sunny
Conifers

Re: Bird feeding

Post by Conifers »

What are the ingredients? Have to be sure there's nothing in there toxic to birds.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Vine fruits,apple,glucose,syrup,mix peel,treacle, dextrose,orange oil ,suet icon_study i would imagine all the different sugars would be washed out i always rinse then soak :DD
kata

Post by kata »

Also we had a warning about netting on food not too long ago Kracker, birds getting stuck and dying at the net.

Take care.

icon_cheers
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Poundland's fat balls are netless and 8 for, you guessed £1 :roll: haven't seen any cheaper.
kracker

Post by kracker »

No netting i just put in a big pile on the garden wall
kata

Post by kata »

Thats great Kracker,

Do mice not steal.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Clive, birds pass but never much land at mine. I had a fat ball there so long its got growth (green shoots)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Blackbird came twice for a tray of fatty stuff I bought but none for ages now...the tray is still full.

icon_cheers
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Great tip Kracker, and Clive, that's a great price for suet balls! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft I get the RSPCA ones, so at least a bit of dough goes to their cause, but the next time I pass a Poundland I'll stock up :)

Kata, you seem to be quite an expert on bird feeding, despite not feeding birds very often! icon_geek Maybe the rain ruined the feed you put out.

As I type I can see 4 birds feeding in our garden right now. They seem to gravitate towards the suet balls most of all ( go through about 2 a day), but also go for the mixed seed and peanuts. I also throw bread out there too, but that seems to attract the pigeons more. Anyway, great to see the birds feeding in the winter, when there's not much else to look at in the garden :)

My only worry is that when I'm older I'll be the weird bloke who feeds the birds at the park and has flocks of pigeons on his roof, annoying his neighbours :oops:
kata

Post by kata »

Kata, you seem to be quite an expert on bird feeding, despite not feeding birds very often! icon_geek Maybe the rain ruined the feed you put out.
No Roger, not an expert. I did move bungalows and town, where before I had loads of birds and got to know what they would eat. This town lacks that interaction with wildlife.

Two years here and seen only starlings which are vvery greedy but fly past so fine with me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And one single Robin..and a Blackbird twice. Thats it apart from flying rats...Pigeons.

My birds (old bungalow) (Blue t (word censored) hated fat balls but loved peanuts and would swing on the feeder all day. They also nested in the eaves so I watched them bring bits of leaf staks etc for the nest.

They were fun to watch.

Hopefully when the garden is sorted and the birds have somewhere to sit or land then it may change..I hope so.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
kracker

Post by kracker »

I also make my own fat balls so to speak, just buy half a dozen lards and i always buy large bags of wild bird seed from costco ,melt it all down and making sure a responsible adult is in charge :lol: then throw in a load of seed and dried fruit and tip out into a large pile looks like an upside down bucket on the feeder can take weeks to go .... :D
kata

Post by kata »

Sounds excellent Kracker

icon_cheers icon_cheers
kracker

Post by kracker »

Now that s a fat ball (so to peak ) Dried fruit soaked over night ,5 large lards , 2 kilos bird seed .set in a bucket and tipped out now on the bird table it always takes a couple of days for the birds to get use to it but the wood rats don't mind tucking straight in !
Attachments
phpxK1Sk3AM.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

wooooow that some size Kracker............ :lol: :lol:
bluetit.jpg
My friend the Bluet which I used to sit and watch do acrobats on the feeder, I really miss them.
fatball.jpg
fatball.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
These are the nets we are warned harm the birds. (netting).
fatball_feeder.jpg
I think if they would visit and decide to eat them in my garden then this would be a better idea kracker.
kracker

Post by kracker »

I used to buy the net balls but i did rip off the nets ...and to watch over and make sure the cats stay away is my noisy weapon :twisted:
Attachments
php6lL9dLAM (1).jpg
kata

Post by kata »

God willing,

I always treat myself at Christmas, last year was my 50" TV, this year will be a brand new Bichon Frisé puppy...at least they are vocal if not scary..... :lol: :lol:
bichonwp.jpg
I can't believe a stupid neighbour accross the way. My garden is graced by a garage at the bottom of the garden. Cat sit by the Leylandis waiting for birds to fly out (probably why I never see any birds). Neighbour throws bread on top of the garage and the birds come to eat it...cat is waiting.... icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh

I can't understand their logic, they have their own gardens...feckin use it........ :mrgreen:

We had a dog like yours, lived for over 10 years, a real beautiful breed.
Attachments
sheppidog.png