Bird feeding

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
flounder

Re: Bird feeding

Post by flounder »

Thats a cracker, Kracker! I'd like to see the size of the magpie that carries that off of the bird table....in fact I'd like to see the upgraded bird table to take the weight of that bucket ball icon_thumleft
kracker

Post by kracker »

Kata thats so funny my dogs getting on a bit and forgets she is not as young as she used to be ,there is one of those dogs in my street and when mine sees? it she thinks it is a cat so funny ...
kata

Post by kata »

What kind is your dog?

Is it not a Border collie? I thought it was.

Ah, our Sheppy dog was so soft, it used to lick us to death...almost.

I am scared of big dogs now. :(
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

flounder wrote:Thats a cracker, Kracker! I'd like to see the size of the magpie that carries that off of the bird table....in fact I'd like to see the upgraded bird table to take the weight of that bucket ball icon_thumleft
People feeding birds in Canada and the US have to watch out :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Oh my my.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kracker

Post by kracker »

kata wrote:What kind is your dog?

Is it not a Border collie? I thought it was.

Ah, our Sheppy dog was so soft, it used to lick us to death...almost.

I am scared of big dogs now. :(
Probably a heinz job ,collie ,spaniel,and pot bellied pig :lol: .but she is so clever and obedient and loves the kids.loves water, eating ,and chasing cats :twisted:
kata

Post by kata »

Ah, more Spaniel then by the look of her Kracker,

It was the size that threw me.... :mrgreen:

We have had loads of dogs, last one was over 10 years old....Prince we called him, had to think there. He was a heinze too, a great dog. When anyone knocked at the door the hair on his back would touch the ceiling.

As you say about love of children, kids also rode on his back. I believe cross breeds have fewer ailments, less vet visits etc. Better tempered.

There are some weird breedings going on out there now....for example Labradoodles... :lol: Kennel club says and bans too many in litters etc which cause desease. We know t also caused BBC to withdraw from Crufts because they did not agree on some things.
labradoodle.jpg
labradoodle.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
A Labradoodle.

icon_cheers
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

We had these 2 parakeets visit our garden a few times. I like them, they go with the tropical theme! :)
_MG_6680.jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

You know all parakeets are female. As soon as they flap their wings, they just keep on screeching :roll:
kracker

Post by kracker »

Well while we are on my fat bucket was gone in 9 days ... icon_pirat
kata

Post by kata »

Net feeders are out, they trap the birds then they can't get out and die,

I bought this yesterday.
birdfeeder2.jpg
Water in the top, food inside. No greedy big birds gets as much as a sniff..... :lol: :lol:

I have also put out a plastic feeder for the bigger birds, not netting.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Kata, no birds have died in my net feeders.

I think you'll find it's netting around suet balls which are the greater potential problem. The netting around suet balls is much larger and poses a potential risk in feet getting trapped in the nylon string. If you look, you'll see that I have a feeder specifically for suet balls, so they're net-free.
IMG_6683.jpg
I work from home, & I can see my bird feeding area from where I sit and work 8 hours a day and it's also visible from the conservatory, dining room, living room and kitchen (careful planning). I can assure you that no birds have been trapped in it.

I've freed a bird caught on fishing wire (not mine, I don't fish) at the park before. Had to carefully reel it in with my hands and untie the wire from it's leg.

After spending money on a variety of different feeders (most now just in storage), I have come to realise that apart from the suet ball hanger, most birds seem to like feeding off the ground. :D
kata

Post by kata »

Yes I see now as its a better view of the netless one Roger,

:mrgreen:
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

One greedy feeder, this Siskin stayed a full ten minutes stuffing himself this morning.
kata

Post by kata »

Your so lucky Clive with your bird family,

Hope this new feeder of mine will entice one or two.

:mrgreen: