Redpolls

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Post Reply
Clive60
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 am
Location: Wareham Dorset

Redpolls

Post by Clive60 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

They disappeared for a week or so but this weather brought them back.
Image

Image


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Redpolls

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm

You've called this topic Redpolls, but the birds look like I would call a Goldfinch. Are they the same thing, or is one of us wrong :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Redpolls

Post by Conifers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Dave Brown wrote:You've called this topic Redpolls, but the birds look like I would call a Goldfinch. Are they the same thing, or is one of us wrong :?:
The pics have several each of Lesser Redpolls and Common Goldfinches. So you're both right icon_thumright

Here's the second pic, annotated, Red for Redpolls, Gold for Goldfinches:
Attachments
00000.jpg


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Redpolls

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Conifers wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:You've called this topic Redpolls, but the birds look like I would call a Goldfinch. Are they the same thing, or is one of us wrong :?:
The pics have several each of Lesser Redpolls and Common Goldfinches. So you're both right icon_thumright
I assumed the more drab ones were female Goldfinches :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Redpolls

Post by Conifers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Dave Brown wrote:I assumed the more drab ones were female Goldfinches :lol:
:lol: no easily obvious sex differences in Goldfinch icon_thumright


Clive60
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 am
Location: Wareham Dorset

Re: Redpolls

Post by Clive60 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Dave, I should have pointed out which were which, thanks Conifers. The Repolls and Siskins are visiting less but the Goldies are here every day.


Post Reply