Costa Rica!

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
ourarka

Costa Rica!

Post by ourarka »

Well, this time next week I will be off to Costa Rica for a 17 day trip. Whilst obvioulsy I am looking forward to all the touristy-adventury type things that my wife believes we are going for, it is not a secret between you and I that the plant life should also be a highlight. I know many of you have good knowledge of this part of the world so I was just wondering what hints/tips you have with regards to things to look out for?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Costa Rica!

Post by Dave Brown »

I have never been, but it has one of the most stable climates in the world with temps generally staying in the range of 20 to 27C. Can't really help other than that, but be sure to post some pics on your return :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

I was there earlier this month. Loved the Cerro Chato hike from La Fortuna with Red Lava Tours, you walk through a primary rain forest (seriously muddy in places) where you get good views of the main volcano and then you descend to a crater lake where you can swim and in the evening they drive you to the hot springs where you swim in a river with 39C water. The vegetation in the forest is awesome, it's so wet that moss grows on leaves in places (closer to the lake), and there are bromeliads, orchids and other things growing on trees. It's further into the dry season now, so may be a bit drier. From there you can go to the other famous national park where there is a cloud forest, I forget the name.

I was also at a few other places, Quepos was very touristy but the beaches were nice and you can see monkeys, iguanas and raccoons on the beach.

If you want a more authentic experience, go to Corcovado in the Osa Peninsula. Chances are you'll see a jaguar. Just be careful crossing rivers, there may be bull sharks, caymans and crocodiles in them.

I hear the Tortuguero Park on the Caribbean coast is nice too.

Yes the weather is perfect, especially in the dry season. It can still feel sticky on the coast though due to the humidity, but not as bad as the Mediterranean summer.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks. Any particular plants I should be on the lookout for?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Well I don't know 99% of the plants I saw, just go into the wilderness and you'll see lots of interesting native vegetation. My favourite biome is humid rainforests with vines and plants growing on one another. In the towns and gardens you'll see nice ornamentals if that's what you're after, and while that's definitely interesting to us HTUK-ers, I feel the diversity in the gardens is limited as people tend to grow the same things all over CR.

Check out my Facebook album with ornamentals:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 894fba8089

and Arenal / La Fortuna:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cda75ec22e
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

ourarka wrote:Thanks. Any particular plants I should be on the lookout for?
Podocarpus costaricensis and Podocarpus guatemalensis (Costa Rica's two native conifers :mrgreen: )
grub

Post by grub »

God I wish I was! I've looked at Costa rican property on more than one occasion but Kate won't hear of it. :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

grub wrote:God I wish I was! I've looked at Costa rican property on more than one occasion but Kate won't hear of it. :(
Don't tell her then :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

There are lots of expats living there, mostly Americans. Seems to be quite civilized for Latin America: politically stable, you can drink tap water, good mobile phone and 3G coverage, etc.
billdango

Post by billdango »

I did a lot of butterfly collecting on the Osa peninsula in my younger days but as I haven't visited that Country since 1979 I can't give you any up to date info.

But its a Country worth visiting so I hope you have a good time.

billdango icon_sunny
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks everyone - really looking forward to it. I'll be sure to post any interesting pictures I manage to get .... though can't promise they'll have IDs with them!
ourarka

Re: Costa Rica! .... and I'm back

Post by ourarka »

Well, I am back from Costa Rica and I can throughly recommend it to anyone. Aside from the plants it is great, but it really is a tropical lovers paradise. I'll post some picture in the coming days, but their climate really is a dream.

And I come back to the 'return of the freezer' .... and Nigel, Tom & Stephen all agree with it!! At least when you guys disagree a little it allows for a hint of optimism amongst the rest of us!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Glad you enjoyed CR, ourarka.

The weather is a dream at this time of year, but the rainy season can be a bit too wet and sunless in parts of the country. Not in the dry parts like Guanacaste.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Costa Rica was my first tropical countryI did visit, and the first outside Europe. It was in Januari and Februari 1998 I went there! Well it was real paradise to me. I could well spend the rest of my live there, especially if we go into another iceage here...

Alexander
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Kept meaning to post some pictures ... and finally got round to it. It was a mission trying to work out which ones not to put in but hope you enjoy these. There are plenty more for those that are interested!!
Attachments
DSCN2037 (Small).JPG
DSCN2051 (Small).JPG
DSCN2039 (Small).JPG
DSCN2064 (Small).JPG
DSCN2105 (Small).JPG
DSCN2164 (Small).JPG
DSCN2191 (Small).JPG