Adder, February the 16th.

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Conifers

Re: Adder, February the 16th.

Post by Conifers »

Darlo Mark wrote:But be careful with young kids and /or dogs as a bite can be serious.
Don't worry, I know they're dangerous. But which is more serious, a bite from a young kid, or from a dog?

:lol:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I guess you can’t talk about Adders without discussing the dangers!
I was reading about a young herpetologist studying the nose horned viper on one of the Greek islands… he received a bite from one of the vipers and being knowledgeable about the viper and the effects of its venom didn’t go in his favour because he then passed out with fear.
He was one of those unlucky people that then suffered a severe allergic reaction to the venom and his body went into toxic shock, he spent seven days on a life support machine and very nearly died.
If you’re allergic to Adder venom (and you would only find that out when it’s too late) the same could happen to you… so best observe them from a safe distance.

Here are a couple reports I’ve done for a herpetology forum.
http://fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=393

I’m going back to Lesvos in June so I’ll do a trip report for this forum.
http://fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=415

Thanks for looking.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Must admit, I've never thought of Adders as dangerous, nothing like as bad as dogs or small children :shock:

Any idea what species of tortoise this is, please? Southwest Turkey; shell approx 15-18 cm long if I remember rightly.
Attachments
Tortoise.jpg
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Conifers it’s a sub-species of the Spur-thighed Tortoise called Testudo anamurensis.
I have some pics of some that I saw in Alanya somewhere icon_scratch
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

When i was in Turkey I found this baby tortoise by the road side so I took it to safety.

Some more pics of Adders.

Thanks,
Tony
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Thanks!

From the map on this page, too far west for that subspecies, the location (near Kaş, well west of Antalya) fits Testudo graeca ibera.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

The map is also wrong you do see Testudo graeca ssp. anamurensis in Alanya.... but in Kas, that would have been Testudo graeca ssp ibera. icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Palmer wrote:The map is also wrong you do see Testudo graeca ssp. anamurensis in Alanya.... but in Kas, that would have been Testudo graeca ssp ibera. icon_thumright
Thanks! icon_thumright
Palmer wrote:When i was in Turkey I found this baby tortoise by the road side so I took it to safety.
The one in my pic, I found stuck in a drainage culvert (about 60cm deep) that it had fallen into - lifted it out and put it on the ground facing away from the culvert so it wouldn't fall straight back in.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thanks for the information Palmer of the reptiles on Greece I Lived on Crete for 5 years and worked in a reptile house i would catch the reptiles we had 4 snakes Dice snake Balkan whip snake lepoard snake and Cat snake. lizards Green lizard Turkish Gecko wall lizard Ocelated skink Amphibeans European tree frog Green toad No native tortoise we had pets Marginated lepoard and African spurfied tortoise
derrick

Post by derrick »

I forgot Moorish Gecko i love the adder pics thanks
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Great pics, there are plenty of Adders around here as it is all heathland and they do come out early if it is relatively mild and don't necessarily hibernate all though the winter.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Some tortoises i looked after in the winter time in Greece not native old pictures .We had Marginated tortoise over 40 years old lots of baby Marginated we also had European spurfied and now is a very big African spurfied .WE had a blind Green sea turtle and some native European fresh water turtles .
Attachments
Scan0001.jpg
derrick

Post by derrick »

Some tortoise only got scan old photos
Attachments
Scan0002.jpg
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

derrick wrote:Thanks for the information Palmer of the reptiles on Greece I Lived on Crete for 5 years and worked in a reptile house i would catch the reptiles we had 4 snakes Dice snake Balkan whip snake lepoard snake and Cat snake. lizards Green lizard Turkish Gecko wall lizard Ocelated skink Amphibeans European tree frog Green toad No native tortoise we had pets Marginated lepoard and African spurfied tortoise
It sounds like you had the ideal job Derrick :mrgreen: have you ever seen the subterranean snake Typhlops on Crete

i saw some on my next trip to lesvos, i'll post some pics!
derrick

Post by derrick »

I havent seen that one is that worm snake is that on Crete not in museum the Crete chameleon gone .Thanks palmer i loved the job we had some sick loggerhead sea turtles we sent to Athens to a turle rescue