Woodland walk today

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Conifers

Re: Woodland walk today

Post by Conifers »

call wrote:nice pictures strange how some of our own native plants can be so 'tropical' :D
Almost all of the pics are of exotics, mostly Rhododendrons icon_thumright
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

stephenprudence wrote: Camera is indeed a Nikon d5100. I was using a standard 18-55mm for the woodland shots and a 70-300mm for the birds.
Yeah I can generally tell when someone is using a Canon midrange camera or a midrange Nikon, the light sensor on the Canon isn’t anywhere near as good as that of the Nikon and unless your in very good light like in the med the pictures look a little washed out to me with a Canon.

Here is an example this should have been one of those rare opportunities to get a top-notch picture of a wild Deer on Spurn point, I saw it from 50ft away and instead of the Deer running away it walk towards me within 10ft… I was using a Canon 500d and a Sigma 70-300 lens
The sharpness of the image is ok but I think that would have been better with a Nikon and the colours aren’t very good.
I’m seriously thinking of selling the Canon now and buying a Nikon for photographing wildlife!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Conifers wrote:
call wrote:nice pictures strange how some of our own native plants can be so 'tropical' :D
Almost all of the pics are of exotics, mostly Rhododendrons icon_thumright
Indeed, they've become so widespread now amongst the Woodlands here, that literally everywhere you go is like a Canary Island trail.. the rangers have literally given up trying to remove them, and take out the seedlings, because they are so voracious. It's gotten to the point where you could get 'lost' because it all looks the same everywhere. I think despite it's infamous nature, it's beautiful woodlands, and have a positive impact on bird species diversity and actually encourages the likes of Holly and Cedar to grow nearby. The most interesting effect of Rhododendron woodlands, is the effect on the forest floor climate.. it's is by far more warm and humid than outside of the woodland, even on a very cold day like yesterday.

Palmer, I see what you mean, yes, I did alot of research before coming to the decision to get a D5100, and I am very pleased with it.. it's very good for an affordable camera and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote: D5100, and I am very pleased with it.. it's very good for an affordable camera and I'd recommend it to anyone.
How much do they cost?
stephenprudence

it'll range, but it was 400 from Currys and included the standard Nikkor lens, Im sure they would be cheaper on the internet, but most cameras of this quality you may pay up to 1000 really.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Thanks! Not what I call 'affordable' though :evil:
kata

Post by kata »

and instead of the Deer running away it walk towards me.
And did you run afterward you took the pics Palmer..I would have. :lol: :lol:

Great pic!

QVC do the tech stuff, I must watch out to see what camera they're selling this weekend.

icon_cheers
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I must admit Kata I was very surprised when that female Roe deer started to walk towards me :o there normally very shy creatures, its fawn wasn’t having any of it though :lol:

Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Palmer wrote:I must admit Kata I was very surprised when that female Roe deer started to walk towards me
The one in your first pic is a buck (male) - female Roe Deer don't have antlers :wink:
stephenprudence

Conifers wrote:
stephenprudence wrote: D5100, and I am very pleased with it.. it's very good for an affordable camera and I'd recommend it to anyone.
How much do they cost?
In the DSLR world it is! But then DSLR photogtaphy is a rather expensive hobby!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

It must be said, our own exotica is just as good......and the camera helps, Stephen icon_thumright