Greenhouse now out of bounds

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
flounder

Greenhouse now out of bounds

Post by flounder »

Haven't ventured up the greenhouse since the weekend, so I meandered in to see whats going on, when.....
DSC03241.jpg
Hmm, had this problem before with vermin. A closer inspection....This doesn't look like a rodent, too small for a rat, too big for a mouse....
DSC03239.jpg
an egg!
DSC03255.jpg
In fact, two eggs. A Robin has taken over the place!
DSC03259.jpg
A quick google and it seems it'll be 4-6 weeks before I can enter there again. This week the female will lay 4-6 eggs, best part of 2 weeks of brooding and stuff before any fledging.
They apparently are very susceptable to disturbance, so I might get some more photos through the grubby glass!!
Troppoz

Re: Greenhouse now out of bounds

Post by Troppoz »

Aaaaw! :DD Do you feel like a mother hen? :lol:

If you cant go into your greenhouse for 6 weeks how is that going to affect your plants, or have you already moved everything out?

Keep us updated with pictures and progress reports icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

thats great! and great your not going to disturb it :D

Shame youve not got a YK television timelapse camera to watch them hatch, in fact get from ebay and film it all

TTIUWV icon_salut
flounder

Post by flounder »

Luckily only a couple of plants left inside. As for filming it, I honestly can't be doing with all that. It's bad enough having a squatter without having to watch half the brood perish(high mortality rate apparently)
flounder

Post by flounder »

Day two of robin watch. Went in the greenhouse to remove some more plants, ensuring first mother robin wasn't nearby.
There's now 3 eggs! Might try for another photo shoot later, but really don't want to keep going in there.
kata

Post by kata »

Your very lucky to have birds stay with you Flounder,

:lol: :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

kata wrote:Your very lucky to have birds stay with you Flounder,

:lol: :lol:
yep, still got it! :wink:
kata

Post by kata »

Wonderful!

Birds are something I really miss here, been here three years and seen one Robin.

I believe the black cat that sits on the garage belonging to a neigbour but is in my garden (garage) has something to do with birds absence. I have a plan though...

...A guy is coming to fit a water tap in the garden.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It has nowhere to hide cus the Leylandi has been vastly reduced where it used to hide.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Egg count now on 4 icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

Right as of yesterday, the female is sitting on the nest so there could be five eggs now. I'll try and set up a webcam type affair for when they hatch, it could be unwatchable if I can't get it close enough but I'll think of something.