Red frog

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Javeo

Red frog

Post by Javeo »

Clearing up some beds yesterday and found this red frog, the pic doesn't show how red it actually was. It's the first time I've seen a funny coloured common frog and as someone who keeps and used to breed tropical frogs its a nice change from the muddy green you usually see.
Attachments
image.jpg
Trudytropics

Re: Red frog

Post by Trudytropics »

Beautiful frog and looks unusual (although I'm no expert :lol: ) He'd be welcome in my garden, keep the snails from munching my hostas.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've heard of this before and it seems to be on the increase. One theory is that it's down to inbreeding due to loss of habitat but British frogs and toads have always varied greatly in colour and markings.

Interestingly, amongst tropical species red is always the colour of danger and serves as a warning to predators that their potential next meal is poisonous. Perhaps we're seeing an evolution to save a species.

Incidentally, I saw my forst Bumble Bee of the year yesterday, hopefully a dry summer will help bulk out the numbers of bees and butterflys.
kata

Post by kata »

Thank your lucky stars its not one of these,
Blue-Poison-Dart-Frog.jpg
:ahhh!:
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Red does seem to appear in Common Frogs and yours is a bigg'un :lol: , looks like a female who has already ejected the eggs.
My fire Bellied Toads have orange/red markings on the underside indicating their toxicity.
kata

Post by kata »

Incidentally, I saw my forst Bumble Bee of the year yesterday,
Seen my ones last week, follows me everywhere.

icon_cheers
Javeo

Post by Javeo »

Yes she did seem very lathargic despite the heat. I released it into an area full of bugs. There are various theories for this, from inbreeding to chemicals and introduced bugs and plants having an effect on the pigmentation.
Kata, that's a Dendrobates azureus dartfrog, one of the species I used to breed. My absolute favourite frogs after red eyed tree frogs!
Gogglebox, my garden is full of bumble bees, hover flies and at least three species of butterfly, the huge flowering currant is covered in them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've seen one or 2 reddish brown and a few sand coloured Commom Frogs over the years. I also found a Fire Bellied Toad in a damp part of my garage back in the 1990s, then a second one turned up in the pond a year or so later. I kept them in an aquarium for about 4 years, then one died, so I let the other one go in the pond. Never saw it again. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I had one frog about 10 years ago,

I put weed control on a walled garden soil, wrong kind of fabric and when it rained it created a pool and the frog sat in it. :lol: :lol:

That garden was the best garden I ever had for wildlife. Squirrels running accross top of the fence, abeit wrong color but still..Bluetits acrobating on the feeder...life was wonderful.
Kata, that's a Dendrobates azureus dartfrog, one of the species I used to breed. My absolute favourite frogs after red eyed tree frogs!
Really..wow, they're Asian frogs are they not Javeo?
Javeo

Post by Javeo »

Our garden is wonderful for wildlife, slow worms, frogs, newts and almost every kind of bird. Thankfully no squirrals but lots of foxes, though the dog manages to keep them away most of the time.
The poison arrow frogs are only from the amazon, and the blues are from Surinam. I also have the yellow an black ones and green striped ones. Once I have time and money again, Im planning on keeping them again. Actually it's what got me interested in exotic gardening, I'd set up a mini rainforest in a vivarium and wish I could walk around it!
kata

Post by kata »

Hmm, dreams can come true J if we wish hard enough,

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: