Red Alert

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
fern Rob

Re: Red Alert

Post by fern Rob »

I found one in the garden today, didn't know what it was until I looked it up, I hope the thing does not distroy any of my plants. :evil:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Wow Kris, I thought my one was an early one,

Cordy, what ever would they want a Trachi for? Nothing to eat really unlike Lillies.

My Crocosmias had a Lily Beetle last year, I found that strange.

icon_sunny

this was after my lillies were all eaten, so I thought they may be hungry for Trachycarpus :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Cordy..
I hope the thing does not distroy any of my plants.
Rob, get some Pravado and spray your Lllies. Also Pravado is ok for all your flowering plants, not sure about _Dicksonia antarctica_ or palms.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/science/plant-pests/lily-beetle

icon_cheers icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I will not let them take over my garden.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Got about eight off the Crown Imperials the other day but none so far on the lilys.Going to try garlic spray as I remember a Lily grower mentioning it on Gardener's World last year.
Javeo

Post by Javeo »

Since killing 20 over 3 day for 3 plants, I have had no more appear and no more damage showing on the leaves. I read that the beetles use smell to locate the lilies so I left the decapited bodies around the plants, perhaps they release a warning scent or something that keeps other beetles away?
flounder

Post by flounder »

Found two this week. Has anyone noticed they stain your hands (when you squash them)the same as lily pollen?
kata

Post by kata »

Blood stains... :lol:
garlic spray as I remember a Lily grower mentioning it on Gardener's World last year.
Thanks Barry!

icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

flounder wrote:Found two this week. Has anyone noticed they stain your hands (when you squash them)the same as lily pollen?

thats one thing I couldnt do, it goes through me when you hear the shell crack :lol:

I'm sure the Egyptians used to use certain beetles ground up for some of their painting colours.
kata

Post by kata »

Look on it as a dye... :lol:

I must admit I don't like squeezing tiny wildlife, they have a right to live like us...God's creatures.

:)
Javeo

Post by Javeo »

kata wrote:Look on it as a dye... :lol:

I must admit I don't like squeezing tiny wildlife, they have a right to live like us...God's creatures.

:)
I don't like killing them either, but I like feeding them even less! It's a shame, they are an axing colour
kata

Post by kata »

but I like feeding them even less!
:lol: :lol:
Dim

Post by Dim »

heuchera are being eaten, so if your heuchera leaves have big chunks out of them, use some Provado
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

When I see those red beetles on my lilies I kill them. And the shalloty larvae as well.

Alexander
kata

Post by kata »

I have only seen the Beetle, never seen the larvae, what color is the larvae...white Alex?

icon_cheers