Sand lizards

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Clive60

Sand lizards

Post by Clive60 »

My first this year, the one in the first pic maybe a female icon_scratch . I was Adder hunting but found nothing just these two Sand Lizards.

flounder

Re: Sand lizards

Post by flounder »

It's been a good few years since I saw one. Used to get loads as a kid
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wish I got them in my garden, I love lizards.

Great pics!

;)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

We get them here in the dunes along the coast. And also farther inland in sandy dry heather areas.

Alexander
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

You are lucky in having twice the number of reptiles and Amphibians than we have here.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I used to catch them them as a kid, just to prove I could do it, then let them go, but haven't seen a wild one for 40 odd years. Most of the dry sandy fields where I saw them are under tarmac or houses now :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Clive60 »

They are most numerous here in SE Dorset but the lowland heaths where they are found are fragmented keeping the populations small. With the pressure on housing who knows how long they will remain.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here they manage the habitats in a way it becomes optimal for the lizards. That means cutting trees and creating sandy open areas and restoring heathland. They use for example large grazing animals for this.

Alexander
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are a rare species nationwide but the south heath lands are the best place to find them. I've not seen any reptiles up here for years.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Saw another couple of males this morning same place as before, one has mites or ticks ( by it's foreleg) the other is finishing it's slough.

Part of an Adder!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

In one dune area, the Kraansveld, they have released European bison. Those animals like to role in the sand and by doung this they create open sandy patches wich are ideal for the sandlizards.

See also on: waarneming.nl

Alexander
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Here we don't have any lizards, as it's too wet/cold. But I have seen a common lizard and a melanistic lizard on the Anglesey coast.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Amazing creatures! ....none up here but hope to see some when we visit my auntie near Portsmouth later this year.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

A bit of a late post here from me but all the same, the only native reptile I've seen up here in Doncaster is a Grass snake. However my mother did see an adder just a few years ago. :D
derrick

Post by derrick »

I often go and visit them at Canford heath and Studland beach .The bush fires have been a problem for the reptiles the last few years . Me and my friends use to catch them as a boy .We had Sand lizard and Common lizards .Sand lizards being much bigger in size . I use to feed them grasshoppers and garden spiders . I also kept Adders and Grass snakes .Grass snakes would eat frogs and fish fillets . The adders would eat the lizards I caught and sometimes mice I found .Grass snakes would tame down no problem .But the Adders would strike only for food or in defence. So didn't keep them long .Or my mother would find them .I did find one smooth snake that went to a reptile centre Lyndhurst back in the 80s.If only I new the damage I was doing back then .Now I just like to see them in the wild .As so much lost over the years through building work .I have helped move some reptiles over the years .From building sites mostly slow worms that would have been killed.