Anyone want to guess?

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Conifers

Re: Anyone want to guess?

Post by Conifers »

Nope! It's a Black Kite icon_thumright

How about this one then? Seaton Sluice, Northumbs., 19 May.
Attachments
Picture 106lo.jpg
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Juvenile Red Backed Shrike.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Right species, wrong age :wink: - couldn't be a juvenile in May, it's an adult female.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Should have thought of that first!! particularly as they are virtually a non breeding species here now.

I have some great pics of a Woodchat Shrike in Morocco last month and I have seen Lesser Greys in Cyprus but I have yet to see a Red Back here or anywhere.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

There's been a big fall of Red-backed Shrikes (and other east European migrants) on the coast here the last few days; saw 4 myself including 2 males (but too distant for photos).

Don't forget to post your Woodchat Shrike pics!

Here's a Lesser Grey Shrike from Northumbs a few years ago (May 2008):
Attachments
Picture 096b.jpg
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I work as a bench joiner. We have a very large timber shed where we store the different types of wood that we use. Every year we get birds nesting in the eaves about 30ft up. They make nests made from mud and straw up there. For years i assumed that they were Swifts and have enjoyed seeing their arrival as it usually marks the start of Summer.This year they`ve been very late to arrive but i spotted them a few days ago and managed to get a close look at one that was sitting still on some planks of Oak. I googled Images of Swifts and think i`ve found that they are actually Barn Swallows and not Swifts.They have a red breast but in flight look the same as swifts.
Well you learn something everyday.
Only problem with them is that they poo a lot on the wood. :lol: