Casper attacks Bumble Bee

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
otorongo

Re: Casper attacks Bumble Bee

Post by otorongo »

I think I've seen them in my garden, but didn't know what they were. Thanks for the heads-up guys!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Have loads of them in my garden & sometimes in the house too, Portsmouth is a hot spot apparently as they came in on the banana boats at the port...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yesterday I came across one in my Ensete Hiniba but was aware of it before I actually saw it due to the distinctive chaotic web they create. Having seen the web I carefully moved the leaves apart, located the spider, and moved it from the leaves I was about to remove. Took some pics as I worked.

It was not in the least aggressive and just stayed where I put it, even though I was removing it's web.
2013-10-12 12-46-28 False Widow Spider 1.jpg
2013-10-12 12-46-16 False Widow Spider 2.jpg
Last pic is of the web created in the inspection light I use in the conservatory. The FW has only taken up residence in the lamp in the last 2 weeks. The light was in place all over summer but was ignored by the FW, until it has been switched on a lot as the nights draw in. This suggests there is some intelligence used as the spider must have noticed the light attracts insects after dark. Then it moved from the roof bars into the light :wink:
Attachments
2013-10-12 18-56-02 False Widow Web.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:It was not in the least aggressive and just stayed where I put it, even though I was removing it's web.
Probably too cold for it to be very active. That might be why it's gone close to the light too, for heat, not just insects.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:It was not in the least aggressive and just stayed where I put it, even though I was removing it's web.
Probably too cold for it to be very active. That might be why it's gone close to the light too, for heat, not just insects.
Not the same spider Conifers, One is in the garden, the other in the conservatory
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright