Pond Predators

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
huporhaha

Pond Predators

Post by huporhaha »

I was working near the pond this afternoon when I heard some flipping and flopping and there was a commotion amongst the water lilies. I huge dragonfly nymph had pincered a newt. I rescued the newt but he was mortally wounded and shuffled off his mortal coil about ten minutes later. Within five minutes the nymph returned to claim his prey only to be ousted off by a water snail - then along came a pair of great diving beetles - I don't need piranhas - it was worse than a horror film.

The pond is a cruel world...................
Attachments
2013-06-14 16.03.08.jpg
2013-06-14 16.03.15.jpg
2013-06-14 16.04.01.jpg
2013-06-14 16.04.10.jpg
DSCN2913.JPG
newtsnaildragonbeetle.JPG
Springy

Re: Pond Predators

Post by Springy »

I agree the pond is a cruel world! Amazing pictures! The predators look huge in comparison to the newt!
Your pond must be well healthy to support such life, well done!!

Just one thing though, why did you put the newt back in when you rescued it even though it died? icon_scratch
Was it to feed the wildlife? I would have been a bit worried about the newts decomposing body slightly polluting the water.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Springy wrote:Just one thing though, why did you put the newt back in when you rescued it even though it died? icon_scratch
Was it to feed the wildlife? I would have been a bit worried about the newts decomposing body slightly polluting the water.
Probably to save another Newt, as all the predators were still hungry.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Reminds me when I was young, tying a little bit of meat on a string and seeing what ate it
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Springy wrote:I agree the pond is a cruel world! Amazing pictures! The predators look huge in comparison to the newt!
Your pond must be well healthy to support such life, well done!!

Just one thing though, why did you put the newt back in when you rescued it even though it died? icon_scratch
I put it on the edge Springy as I figured when it was alive its body still needed to keep moist in the water but it would need to breathe. Its mouth was exposed to the air but its body was semi submerged. The dragonfly numph sneaked up behind it after it had died and dragged it back in by the tail.........cruel world a bit like "Jaws"
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Dave Brown wrote:
Springy wrote:Just one thing though, why did you put the newt back in when you rescued it even though it died? icon_scratch
Probably to save another Newt, as all the predators were still hungry.

The thought did cross my mind Dave........
kracker

Post by kracker »

Well i can balance the karma there i was cleaning my water feature emptying the feed there was 2 inches of sludge and to my amazement and handful of sludge i picked out a newt i nearly s :shock: :shock: t my self i bottled it up and took it to the local pond if i hadn't the newt had no way of escaping and the pump had no filter on felt all a bit chuffed telling the kids and the oldest one he's 4 asked if it was a dinosaur :ahhh!:
kata

Post by kata »

i picked out a newt i nearly s t my self
:lol: :lol:

Great pics Steph!! icon_cheers
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

My most surreal experience was in spring 2012. I had put 2 jam jars outside the back door in really bad weather. I left them for about a week. When I poked my head out of the back door there were still two jam jars - both half full of water. Each jar contained a solitary living newt looking forlornly at his/her mate - separated only by the glass in each jar. I reunited the two love-newts in my wildlife pond......to produce, newtlets, grand-newts and great grand-newts.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'm sure newts are good climbers. I've found them in buckets of water, watering cans AND the water butt!
Never seen any newtlets though