Hedgehogs

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
flounder

Hedgehogs

Post by flounder »

A few pictures taken tonight of two camera shy hogs foraging under the bird feeder. I think the light colour one is a male after nooky, haven't seen that one before. The other has been a regular for a couple of years.
Attachments
DSC03315.jpg
DSC03316.jpg
DSC03317.jpg
DSC03318.jpg
DSC03319.jpg
DSC03320.jpg
DSC03321.jpg
DSC03322.jpg
Dim

Re: Hedgehogs

Post by Dim »

I work in a small garden that I landscaped from scratch 2 years ago ...

2 years ago, a small hedgehog made his home beneath the garden shed ... I saw him earlier this week for the 1st time since the 2 years , and he has grown considerably.

The residents of the house (it's a shared home), say that he hedgehog comes out at night, crawls beneath the garden gate and goes on a meander through the village, then returns later. One of the girls says that a few evenings ago, the hedgehog returned with a dead bird

just wondering if it is a good idea to feed the hedgehog? .... (especially during winter), or do the hibernate/sleep throughout? ....
kata

Post by kata »

Wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog

Great shots Flounder!

icon_sunny
flounder

Post by flounder »

Dim wrote:I work in a small garden that I landscaped from scratch 2 years ago ...

2 years ago, a small hedgehog made his home beneath the garden shed ... I saw him earlier this week for the 1st time since the 2 years , and he has grown considerably.

The residents of the house (it's a shared home), say that he hedgehog comes out at night, crawls beneath the garden gate and goes on a meander through the village, then returns later. One of the girls says that a few evenings ago, the hedgehog returned with a dead bird

just wondering if it is a good idea to feed the hedgehog? .... (especially during winter), or do the hibernate/sleep throughout? ....
They hibernate through winter. I/we (the wife) puts out food in the Autumn just to give them a boost for the winter months. They eat anything!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Awesome, I've never seen a hedgehog in London.

Personally I wouldn't feed them, they're wild animals and they're supposed to feed themselves, but creating a quasi-natural habitat / shelter for them would be a good idea, kind of like feeding the birds vs planting shrubs that give them food and shelter, the latter is more natural and low-maintenance.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I'd love to get a hedgehog back in my garden. Since I lost the last one the slugs have run rampant. I've even built a large twig pile at the end of the garden to attract them in.
flounder

Post by flounder »

A lot of the problems associated with hedgehogs, are peoples gardens are too manicured and tidy.....I don't suffer with that :oops:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I love hedgepigs, wish I had some here to kill off the slugstards.
kata

Post by kata »

Hedgepigs.... :lol:

I had one in my garden a few years back.

icon_sunny
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

ally amazing to see them wild like that. here in the US they sell them in pet shops for children and here very tame and fun to play with...wish I had somthing like that but all I end up with is moles and snakes
daz h

Post by daz h »

used to have a couple living under our shed , used to feed it the occasional bit of cat food - they love it but boy are they noisy eaters .
havent seen it all this year though
kracker

Post by kracker »

A couple of weeks ago driving the family down a country road i came across one ,it was big one walking across the road too late to stop i veered the car over the top of it i passed right under the car and out the back whilst the wife had her eyes closed she said please tell me you didn't hit it i said no in the rear view it toddled off to the other side :o
kata

Post by kata »

I can't decide who was luckier, you (wife beating a tattoo on ya) or hoggy that escaped... :lol: :lol: