Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 am

The wolf has returned to The Netherlands. Well they have found a dead femal one very recently in the north of the country. It was hit by a car unfortunately. In Germany the number of wolfs is incressing every year. At the moment there are 13 wolfpacks in Germany, in 2000 it started with only one pack in an area close to Poland. The most closely 2 packs live south of Hamburg. So its only a matter of time they will arrive closer to this part of the World. Every year young wolfs have to search for a new teritorium and a mate. And they can cover hundreds of miles in a few weeks. Well I am glad they make there comeback. Especially in a time most wildlive in decreasing. Well the UK they will never reach on there own, swimming is not an option and the tunnel very unelickely. But there should be good habitats there, especially in Scotland!

www.wolveninnederland.nl/wolven-en/

Alexander


User avatar
GoggleboxUK
Posts: 16877
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Preston Lancashire

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by GoggleboxUK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 am

We alredy have Wolves in the UK, the old gold variety that reside near Birmingham. ;)
Once upon a time there were 3 little bears. Now there's thousands of them.


Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Tom2006 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:28 am

I would love it if wolves came back to Scotland. Sadly the rich ignorant land owners wont allow it.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


Clive60
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 am
Location: Wareham Dorset

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Clive60 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Coincidently there was a two page spread in the i today about the European Wolf distribution and how they are spreading.


User avatar
billdango
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am
Location: southampton

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by billdango » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Its about time they were reintroduced back into the uk?

We should bring back the animals that we wiped out years ago.
.

Here is a list below.

Lynx.
Wolverine.
Brown bear.
Moose.
Beaver
Wolf.
Wild boar.

billdango icon_thumleft


User avatar
call
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: kent england
Contact:

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by call » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

billdango wrote:Its about time they were reintroduced back into the uk?

We should bring back the animals that we wiped out years ago.
.

Here is a list below.

Lynx.
Wolverine.
Brown bear.
Moose.
Beaver
Wolf.
Wild boar.

billdango icon_thumleft
beaver and wild boar are already here

boar escaped from farms and now live in Kent, Sussex and in small populations elsewhere
and beaver can be found in nature reserves and small populations in Scotland

lynx may be here as well, as dead animals, scat, prints and sightings are appearing all the time

plans are to bring back wolf, lynx (or add to the current population) and moose in reserves in scotland

one animal that we should definitely bring back is the white backed pelican (yes they were native here)
callum
growing exotics in sunny thanet icon_sunny
http://tinytropicals.blogspot.co.uk/


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Conifers » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:01 am

call wrote:one animal that we should definitely bring back is the white backed pelican (yes they were native here)
Sorry, impossible, there's no such thing :lol:

Pelican list (from IOC):
Great White Pelican Pelecanus onocrotalus
Pink-backed Pelican Pelecanus rufescens
Spot-billed Pelican Pelecanus philippensis
Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus
Australian Pelican Pelecanus conspicillatus
American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
Peruvian Pelican Pelecanus thagus

There's archaeological evidence that Dalmatian Pelican was native in prehistoric Britain (several thousand years ago), but not in recorded history.


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 am

call wrote:
billdango wrote:Its about time they were reintroduced back into the uk?

We should bring back the animals that we wiped out years ago.
.

Here is a list below.

Lynx.
Wolverine.
Brown bear.
Moose.
Beaver
Wolf.
Wild boar.

billdango icon_thumleft
beaver and wild boar are already here

boar escaped from farms and now live in Kent, Sussex and in small populations elsewhere
and beaver can be found in nature reserves and small populations in Scotland

lynx may be here as well, as dead animals, scat, prints and sightings are appearing all the time

plans are to bring back wolf, lynx (or add to the current population) and moose in reserves in scotland

one animal that we should definitely bring back is the white backed pelican (yes they were native here)
We have arround 600 bevers here in the country. And thats since the reintroduction about 25 years ago. So they where extinct here, now they are fairly common! It shows that extinct animals can make a comeback when man ones it! And that wolf had eaten a wild beaver. They did disect the dead animal.
Wild boar are also fairly common here in some parts of the country.
I wander if you had European bison in the UK? In Roman times there where also pelicans here. Well the lower wetter parts opf the country where like the Danube delta marshes.

Alexander


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:51 am

Here is more info about the wolfs in Germany.

Its in German.

https://www.nabu.de/aktionenundprojekte/wolf/

Alexander


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:02 am

Germany has now 21 wolfcouples. So it only a matter of time that they will became a part of the Dutch wildlife again as well as other countries in Western Europe.

Well hopefully the UK will do something with this trend. You get potential good habitat overthere in some areas!

Alexander


User avatar
billdango
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am
Location: southampton

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by billdango » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Sorry about forgetting the European bison [or Wisent]?

It was native to the UK a long time ago so add it to my list above.

Maybe i will see all these animals roaming free in the UK in my life time but i'm not holding my breath on it happening.

billdango :(


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Conifers » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Maybe one day, they'll be able to clone Mammoths, etc., from subfossil remains . . that'd be good, get the extinct Megafauna back


Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Conifers wrote:Maybe one day, they'll be able to clone Mammoths, etc., from subfossil remains . . that'd be good, get the extinct Megafauna back
Well to get the megafauna back is very unlickely. Well except of the recreating of the aurochs. They are working on that. See: stichtingtaurus.nl
The comeback of wolfs however is a natural proces thanks to a changed attitude of man. Ones its was about shooting almost any wild animal. Now its mainly protecting whats wild, so a change of 180 degree.
But we have allready one area with European bison roaming free here. And that animal could be reintroduced in the UK as well. If they can live in an very densely part of Europe, the dunes not that far from Amsterdam, then in remote parts of Scotland or Wales it would be possible!
About those wolfs in Germany, where they are found its more densely populated with people then Scotland or Wales.

Alexander


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Conifers » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Alexander wrote:Well to get the megafauna back is very unlickely.
Not possible with current DNA technology. But advances in this are rapid; what can be done now would have been unthinkable just 10-20 years ago. It might be 20 years, it might be 50, but eventually, they will be able to bring them back. Even Neandertal Man, too - its full DNA sequence is already known, it is just a matter of the technology to build that DNA sequence into a living being. And there is better Mammoth material to work with, than there is for Neandertals.
Alexander wrote:About those wolfs in Germany, where they are found its more densely populated with people then Scotland or Wales.
More people yes, but fewer (or even none) of the implacably wolf-hostile, 19th-century-attitude gamekeepers and landowners which infest the British uplands. We can't even keep populations of small raptors like Hen Harriers* alive here icon_thumbdown

* Blauwe Kiekendief


User avatar
call
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: kent england
Contact:

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by call » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Conifers wrote:
call wrote:one animal that we should definitely bring back is the white backed pelican (yes they were native here)
Sorry, impossible, there's no such thing :lol:

Pelican list (from IOC):
Great White Pelican Pelecanus onocrotalus
Pink-backed Pelican Pelecanus rufescens
Spot-billed Pelican Pelecanus philippensis
Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus
Australian Pelican Pelecanus conspicillatus
American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
Peruvian Pelican Pelecanus thagus

There's archaeological evidence that Dalmatian Pelican was native in prehistoric Britain (several thousand years ago), but not in recorded history.
great white
callum
growing exotics in sunny thanet icon_sunny
http://tinytropicals.blogspot.co.uk/


Post Reply