Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Alexander

Re: Wolf back in the Netherlands!

Post by Alexander »

Conifers wrote:
Alexander wrote:Well to get the megafauna back is very unlickely.
Not possible with current DNA technology. But advances in this are rapid; what can be done now would have been unthinkable just 10-20 years ago. It might be 20 years, it might be 50, but eventually, they will be able to bring them back. Even Neandertal Man, too - its full DNA sequence is already known, it is just a matter of the technology to build that DNA sequence into a living being. And there is better Mammoth material to work with, than there is for Neandertals.
Alexander wrote:About those wolfs in Germany, where they are found its more densely populated with people then Scotland or Wales.
More people yes, but fewer (or even none) of the implacably wolf-hostile, 19th-century-attitude gamekeepers and landowners which infest the British uplands. We can't even keep populations of small raptors like Hen Harriers* alive here icon_thumbdown

* Blauwe Kiekendief
Well that generation of gamekeepers will be replaced by another generation one day. And they could see the benefits if one landowner decides to introduce these animals on its land. And let people go there on a sort of safari. He could earn money with that as well. An alternative for hunting. Compair it what big landowners do in South Africa.

Alexander
flounder

Post by flounder »

Somehow, I don't think reintroducing an animal that hunts in packs and eats other animals is going to go down too well with the farming population, even in the wild highlands. As for talk about bringing back certain flighted birds, they have a habit of flying away!
Mans expansion and domestication of the land over the years, has irrevocably damaged any serious chance of establishing anything other than a token gesture with any species
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Alexander wrote:Well that generation of gamekeepers will be replaced by another generation one day. And they could see the benefits if one landowner decides to introduce these animals on its land. And let people go there on a sort of safari. He could earn money with that as well. An alternative for hunting. Compair it what big landowners do in South Africa.

Alexander
I wish! Trouble is, the old generation of gamekeepers teach the new generation to continue in their bad ways. The law is massively flouted, and even when convicted (very rarely) the penalties are derisory.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's bad enough having to contest with unruly dogs on a country walk. I don't wont to be fending off a pack of wolves or any other top predators!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's bad enough having to contest with unruly dogs on a country walk. I don't wont to be fending off a pack of wolves or any other top predators!
Unruly dogs are vastly more dangerous than wolves, as they don't have any fear of people. Wolves don't attack people.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Conifers wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's bad enough having to contest with unruly dogs on a country walk. I don't wont to be fending off a pack of wolves or any other top predators!
Unruly dogs are vastly more dangerous than wolves, as they don't have any fear of people. Wolves don't attack people.
Put it this way, I wouldn't wear a red cape walking the dogs in the woods :shock:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

flounder wrote:
Conifers wrote:
Put it this way, I wouldn't wear a red cape walking the dogs in the woods :shock:
With that red cap you would atrack the wrong kind of man...

Alexander
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:

I wouldn't want to test that theory.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here a recent article about the return of the wolf in Western Europe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 03910.html

Alexander
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Conifers wrote:
Not possible with current DNA technology. But advances in this are rapid; what can be done now would have been unthinkable just 10-20 years ago. It might be 20 years, it might be 50, but eventually, they will be able to bring them back. Even Neandertal Man, too - its full DNA sequence is already known, it is just a matter of the technology to build that DNA sequence into a living being. And there is better Mammoth material to work with, than there is for Neandertals.
Alexander wrote:About those wolfs in Germany, where they are found its more densely populated with people then Scotland or Wales.
More people yes, but fewer (or even none) of the implacably wolf-hostile, 19th-century-attitude gamekeepers and landowners which infest the British uplands. We can't even keep populations of small raptors like Hen Harriers* alive here icon_thumbdown

* Blauwe Kiekendief
May well be possible but it will never be allowed to due to the ethical implications. That said, I'm sure someone will do it, illegally.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

stephenprudence wrote:
Conifers wrote:

* Blauwe Kiekendief
May well be possible but it will never be allowed to due to the ethical implications. That said, I'm sure someone will do it, illegally.
What kind of ethical implications then? Alexander

Alexander
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ask the people involved in ethics :wink:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

If someone will do it eligally then at least he should take the European one wich is found in Central Europe.

Well people keep wols as pet also.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

It has been confirmed now that it was indeed a wild wolf wich was found alonge the roadside in Luttelgeest in The Netherlands. They have examined the DNA And its seems to have come all the way from the Carpatian mountains and not from the German wolf population!
In the whole of Europe there are arround 20.000 wolfs living in the wild! So they seem to be not that rare. But they led a very seclusive live it seems.
Well very exiting that the wolf has made its comeback on its own! And that in one of the most densely populated areas of Europe!

Maybe one day only the UK and Ireland will remain absolutely free of wolfs. Uneless they use the tunnel under the channel to enter the UK. Well its not very likely that will ever happen.
The fact the wolf makes a comeback has to do with the changend attitude of man towards wolfs. Ones they where hunted almost to extinction like many wild animals. Nowadays fortunately people are much more tolerant to other wildlive including big predators!

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

In Germany the presence of wolfs in the area gives the local people a bit of extra income in the form of tourism. So its bassically good for the local economy there. Its in the Dutch language but just to give an idear.

And in the end its all about money in our modern World...

http://www.omroepflevoland.nl/Nieuws/10 ... ekpleister

www.omroepflevoland.nl/Nieuws/104039/ma ... od-in-wolf

Alexander