Robins

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
kata

Robins

Post by kata »

I saw my first Robin of the season Tuesday,

It was'nt full grown one, it was on the garage flat roof accross. Unfortunately its got no food here.

I had to ask the garage owner to stop the feeding. They were throwing bread up onto the the garage flat roof, the birds come but so does the cat.

I also had no choice but to remove the bird feeder for virmin. I found a dead one of those this morning.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Robins

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

kata wrote:I saw my first Robin of the season Tuesday,

It was'nt full grown one, it was on the garage flat roof accross. Unfortunately its got no food here.

I had to ask the garage owner to stop the feeding. They were throwing bread up onto the the garage flat roof, the birds come but so does the cat.

I also had no choice but to remove the bird feeder for virmin. I found a dead one of those this morning.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Live and let live. Mice and rats are fine outside. Better out than in.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have seen them in my garden nearly all year so far kata, always at the bottom of my garden near the horrid conifers and bird table. Seen a big numbr of blue tots as well. I saw a strange bird few weeks ago it was jet black not a black bird :lol: its beak was black and nearly the size of a pigeon. two of them together not seen any since.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Where I am, I mostly only see parakeets and pigeons.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Pigeons are all over where i live there are far too many in my opinion. Cause a bit of damage in the garden to when they land of things they should i.e PLANTS!
Dim

Post by Dim »

loads of different birds in my village and garden .... I'm not sure of the types though

funnily, I have yet to see a squirrel (I have been living here for 5 months and have never seen one)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

sanatic1234 wrote:I saw a strange bird few weeks ago it was jet black not a black bird :lol: its beak was black and nearly the size of a pigeon. two of them together not seen any since.
Either a Carrion Crow or a Jackdaw.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I have seen Robins quite regularly over the summer up here.

Two kinds of bird I would like to see considerably less of are magpies and wood pigeons!
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Our Robin has just returned 'after a short break' :) but it's overwhelmed by 20+ Sparrows here every day which is surprising as this beauty is making more regular appearances and she is a beauty.

kata

Post by kata »

Nice pic Clive..
Live and let live. Mice and rats are fine outside. Better out than in.
Thats the thing Kris, they are in, only wish they were out.

half Ring neck Doves here, are they a throw back of Pigons?

:(
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Kata, rats and mice inside?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Dim wrote:funnily, I have yet to see a squirrel (I have been living here for 5 months and have never seen one)
Squirrels are a plague here, they dig up seedlings :( I have to weigh the soil around new plantings with stones and bricks so the squirrels don't thrash them.
kata

Post by kata »

Kata, rats and mice inside?
Rats Clive, yes indoors. I found a dead baby one just pass my gate yesterday, this morning pest control turned up, the food laid last week is eaten.

Today I wondered where the pest control bloke went first, her husand next door found a dead rat in the bathroom. They had a wet room Installed and there is a gap where a rodent can get in, thats how they got that one. Mine has not the same setup and is totally blocked off at the bend...no entry.

That would have totally freaked me out, my sleep is almost non-existent as I listen to noise in the attic...so the council is going to test the drains, find out where they are getting in, the councillor turned up yesterday and a full Investigation will take place.

They believe three houses which are on the same level are affected. had she not wanted a fancy wet room then this may not have occured.

Other than that Wigan have been putting in new drains in the town centre.

Thanks clive!
Squirrels are a plague here, they dig up seedlings
Have you tried a feeder of nuts otorongo, unusual for Squirrels to dig soil? Its three years since I saw a Squirrel in my old town, non here.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

kata wrote:Have you tried a feeder of nuts otorongo, unusual for Squirrels to dig soil? Its three years since I saw a Squirrel in my old town, non here.
Haven't tried a feeder. *Something* is digging soil, I'm not 100% sure it's squirrels, but I caught one in the act once. What else could it be, a cat, fox? Mice or rats maybe?

It's hard not to see a squirrel in London when you're anywhere near plants and a bit of soil or grass. It's those grey squirrels introduced from America, not the red, native type.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I hope they get that sorted Kata!