Anyone else grow native trees?

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Anyone else grow native trees?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I'm always on the look out for elm because that's where you'll find White Letter Hairsteaks. I found a small colony on one tree about 6 years ago. Sadly since then the tree has died. :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

You can but young elms from the great british elm experiment.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

So whats everyones favourite tree? Doesn't have to be a native i suppose, I'm sure there will be some eucalyptus and monkey puzzle fans on here? am i right? No monocot species though, true trees. :lol:

Mine would probably have to be the Empress tree (Paulownia tomentosa). It is the fastest growing tree in the world. A native to china it is deciduous and hardy. It has the biggest leaves of any deciduous tree making it look very tropical. With purple candle like clusters of flowers. Unfortunately it is dieing out from logging and a deadly disease, its naturalised in the USA and tree farmers make lots of money from selling the valuable hardwood to the oriental world which is loosing its own. Ive attempted growing them from seed but have had no success. Maybe this spring will be the one for me.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

I like the look of that Korean fir with the blue cones ? Monkey puzzles are great .
Btw that elms safe.Might just try growing some from it especially as all the neighbouring elms died c.15-20 years ago,strange.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote: Kris, i adore your videos but your attitude towards native trees is poor :lol: This was posted on the wildlife section of the forum. I thought British native trees would fit perfectly in that category just as much as animals do.
But you haven't posted this in the Wildlife forum, which is maybe why the question of it's validity has arisen.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote: Kris, i adore your videos but your attitude towards native trees is poor :lol: This was posted on the wildlife section of the forum. I thought British native trees would fit perfectly in that category just as much as animals do.
But you haven't posted this in the Wildlife forum, which is maybe why the question of it's validity has arisen.
Yes this is a discussion about native UK trees on the main Hardy tropic forum, not the wildlife one. :><:

BTW I love native trees just choose not to grow them in my garden. icon_thumright
doncasterpalmguy123

I suspect tension. That wasn't a dig at you Kris, it was meant to be a joke, I'm glad you like our natives. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:I suspect tension. That wasn't a dig at you Kris, it was meant to be a joke, I'm glad you like our natives. :D
I've moved this topic to the Wildlife forum as that is where you thought you'd posted it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Thanks dave as I'm fairly new i have no idea how to move the topic. :-D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks dave as I'm fairly new i have no idea how to move the topic. :-D
You can't :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Ive attempted growing them from seed but have had no success.
I sowed some seed a couple of years ago - they came up like Mustard and Cress ! so perhaps the seed you had was not viable? Worth another go I reckon :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks dave as I'm fairly new i have no idea how to move the topic. :-D
You can't :wink:
Unless he becomes a Moderator? :lol:
doncasterpalmguy123

Yes Kristen, I've got some seeds, so will stratify them this time, see if it works. :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Conifers wrote:
flounder wrote:Out of interest, how many generations does something need to be growing to be thought of as native?
Doesn't work like that - it is based on the means of arrival (whether it got here by itself, or with human assistance), not the length of time it has been here. So the answer does not change with time.

Maybe not so cut and dried Conifers, in my region of Australia we have the tamarind tree, Tamarindus indica, that was introduced here by Maccassan traders from Indonesia prior to European settlement. Curiously, it was actually introduced to Asia and India from its native range in Sudan a few thousand years ago, once more by traders. It is definitely considered a "native" plant in Asia, and there is debate about whether it can be considered a native of Australia after a few hundred years of naturalisation. I think it is listed as native flora here in the Northern Territory though, so yes introduced species can gain native status, after all its a fairly arbitrary concept anyway.

There are tree kangaroos and cuscuses that have been found on islands east of New Guinea that could not have reached the islands unaided, and they are now known to have been amongst the first introduced feral animals in human history, going back thousands of years as the first Melanesians colonised islands and brought food sources with them. A lot of these islands lacked native land mammals so protein was hard to come by and its thought that they were deliberately trapped, caged, transported and released in a sort of Johnny Appleseed long term vision for future settlers. They are indeed considered native to those islands despite their mode of arrival.

Good work on the native plant growers icon_thumleft Im a fan of our native flora and have quite a few natives in my garden, though less than years ago as the exotics have slowly taken over :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've got lots of native plants here, just native to somewhere else :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright