Crocodiles in slow-mo

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Troppoz

Crocodiles in slow-mo

Post by Troppoz »

Came across this awesome video shot by an Irish tourist in Australia using slow-mo footage which shows the surprising elegance and grace that these formidable animals possess. Was filmed at Crocosaurus Cove, an aquarium here in Darwin where you can be lowered into a tank with a massive crocodile:

Conifers

Re: Crocodiles in slow-mo

Post by Conifers »

So what happens to the croc that broke the string on the line and swallowed the metal hook as well as the meat?

Don't think it's very ethical, sorry.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Where's the hook? Just a piece of jute tied in a knot, a croc's stomach would digest that within an hour!

As far as ethics, that's not really relevant, its just an admiration of an incredible animal's power and grace...
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

WoW, they are Amazing creatures Sean, and the Slow Mo, but they scare me to death. I could never get in that tank!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Hi Trop - if you look at the first capture at 46-49 seconds (printscreens below), you can see the metal hook with the meat hooked on the end. Then in the second capture (58 seconds in), the string breaks, so the croc swallows the hook.
00001.jpg
00003.jpg
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Conifers wrote:Hi Trop - if you look at the first capture at 46-49 seconds (printscreens below), you can see the metal hook with the meat hooked on the end. Then in the second capture (58 seconds in), the string breaks, so the croc swallows the hook.
00001.jpg
00003.jpg
If they can eat an arm, bones and all, i dont thing a little hook would bother them :mrgreen:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Oh, that hook... :lol:

Actually you are getting confused, look closer...you are failing to distinguish 2 different animals.

If you look again you will see the metal hooks are attached to wire rope so there is no chance of that snapping at all and the hooks have a non catch construction. That sequence is the feeding of juveniles so absolutely NO chance they could swallow a hook. The following sequence at 0:58 with the snapping string is a mature bull as you can tell by the size and the string is tied to the bait, no hooks. Ive never been to this exhibit but standard crocodile husbandry states you separate the big males from everything else, so different enclosures no doubt so no chance of him taking a hook...

I can assure you that Australia's animal welfare laws are amongst the most stringent in the world, but anyway as I said this was about appreciating the elegance in this cool footage
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

OK thanks! icon_thumright