European bison in the wild in The Netherlands.

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Alexander

European bison in the wild in The Netherlands.

Post by Alexander »

Here a youtube video of European bison living semi wild in an nature reserve close to Zandvoort. And also not far from Amsterdam.
Its quiet unique you have these primeval animals in one of the most densely parts of Europe living semi wild. Well its also a scientific project to see how the vegetation and habitat will react on the presence of these animals. And how their browsing will affect the vegetation and other wildlive.

It seems the fact that bisons like to take sandbaths seems to be beneficial for sandlizards for example. They like open sandy patches for sunbathing and for laying eggs.

I wander if some similair project is going on in the UK?

http://youtu.be/kzVv40yZwws

http://youtu.be/OKtQQPeEkHE

And a link to the website

http://www.wisenten.nl/wisenten-uk/home

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
flounder

Re: European bison in the wild in The Netherlands.

Post by flounder »

I don't think the UK has the room for Bison to roam, even semi enclosed.....I do however remember in my youth leaving the disco with the occasional moose :wink:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

flounder wrote:I don't think the UK has the room for Bison to roam, even semi enclosed.....I do however remember in my youth leaving the disco with the occasional moose :wink:
Well you get areas with some space I guess. Well more then here in the country.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And here another video of those European bizon here in The Netherlands.

http://youtu.be/eH6fsR5KtW4

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And some more info.

www.eurowildlife.org/news/wisents-horse ... therlands/

Alexander
billdango

Post by billdango »

Plenty of room in Scotland I think?

It would be good to bring back the animals and birds and insects that have dissapeard from this country over the last thousand years or so.

I.e.

Beaver.
Lynx.
Brown bear.
Moose.
Bison.
Blue boar.

The black viened white butterfly.
The mazerine blue butterfly
The large copper butterfly .
And the large tortoishell butterfly.

But some new species are already here.

Eagle owl.
Common crane.
Sea eagle.
Plus some others I can,t think of at the moment.

billdango icon_sunny

And maybe the,
Siberian chipmunk.
Raccoon dog.
etc.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thats the point I want to make here. Bringing back extinct plants and animals and restoring ecosystems is an ethical thing to my opinion. And when we want to save rhinos and tigers in other parts of the World, we in the rich part of the World should give a good example with our own nature and wildlive. Hopefully soon we will see a BBC series of naturedocumentaries presented by lets say David Attenborough of bringing back extinct species in the UK and other European countries. The European bison is just a part of our continent as is the Mona Lisa or the Alhambra. Nature should be as importent as cutural heritage! And part of our indentity.

Scotland has more then plenty room I guess. Its much less densely populated then those areas in Germany where you have wolfs at the moment. And beavers here in The Netherlands are even found very close to large cities and densely populated areas. The UK has plenty room and good habitatfor beavers!
Its bassically about the thing if there is a will to reintroduce extinct species yes or no!
And in my densely populated country fortunately there is that will allready for many years. And that why we got extinct animals back like the otter, beaver, wisent, sturgeon, white tailed eagle, white tailed eagle, great egret and several more. And also the making of new natural habitat along our rivers for this wildlive for example and the creating of the Oostvaarders Plassen wich had a major impact on birdlive here in the country. The aim of creating large robust naturereserves with large herbivors to keep the vegetation open for many other plants and animals is allready practice in this country for more then 30 years. And the benefits for many rare plants and animals are there to be seen now.

Its also practice now in other countries like Germany. Germany has now for example arround 10.000 beavers! Thanks to good protection of their last population in the Elbe river and reintroduction in other rivers.

And in Lithuania the beaver got extinct in 1938, now there are again arround 32.000 a 50.000 beavers in that small country! So bringing back an extinct animal to an area or country is very well possible! In the past it was mostely (over) hunting what did cause extinction. Now the changed attitude of man has undone the damage done in the past to these animals and ecosystems! So a cahnge for the better!

www.welshbeaverproject.org/beaver-basic ... in-europe/

Alexander
billdango wrote:Plenty of room in Scotland I think?

It would be good to bring back the animals and birds and insects that have dissapeard from this country over the last thousand years or so.

I.e.

Beaver.
Lynx.
Brown bear.
Moose.
Bison.
Blue boar.

The black viened white butterfly.
The mazerine blue butterfly
The large copper butterfly .
And the large tortoishell butterfly.

But some new species are already here.

Eagle owl.
Common crane.
Sea eagle.
Plus some others I can,t think of at the moment.

billdango icon_sunny

And maybe the,
Siberian chipmunk.
Raccoon dog.
etc.