Beavers in Scotland.

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
Alexander

Beavers in Scotland.

Post by Alexander »

It seems Scotland gets allready a growing population of beavers. In the river ay there seems to be a healthy beaver population, started from escaped animals. Hopefully its the Eurpean beaver and not the non native American one.
And the strange thing is that some local people believe that beavers would harm the salmon in those rivers by making dams or whatever. These people seem not to realise that both those salmon and beavers have chaired those rivers for thousends of years before the beaver got extinct in the UK!

www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/ma ... n-scotland

And in Scandinavia beavers and salmon are living in harmony together in the same rivers!

Alexander
Alexander

Re: Beavers in Scotland.

Post by Alexander »

And more beavers seem to be reintroduced in the UK soon.

Some farmers seem to complain about it. And they say that it would damage as they compair it with the introduction of those 3 animalspecies: gray squirrel, rabbit and mink. Well gray squirrel and mink come from North America and the rabbit is origenally from the Iberia Peninsula. So all 3 are not native to the UK. Well the rabbit was maybe ones in the past. But the other 2 defenitely not. But European beavers where hunted down to extinction men in the past there! So those farmers should do there homework first before talking nonesense. And then the most damage to the environement recently has very often to do with intensive farming. And then those recent floodings, probably also due to the destruction of many hedges during the last 60 years for creating more farmland. Those hedges did held more rainwater back in the past. Nowadays it just runs down to a river in no time.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-22559841

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Also plans for reintroduction of beavers in Wales.

www.welshbeaverproject.org/wp-content/u ... nglish.pdf

Alexander
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Yes they was reintroduced in about 2009 if my memory serves me correctly. They was put on the Ay because of its rural location (as an experiment) so they could settle in. They are not a result of escapes because there are no fur farms in the UK plus all the zoo's are pretty good standard. They was reintroduced from a norwegian population if my memory serves me correctly again :lol: , in an attempt to restore the countries biodiversity.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

My son, he is 10, learned about this at school and told me about it last week.

UK rivers have been cleaned up significantly over the last 20 years or so and it is great to see initiatives like this.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here some news about beavers in East Devon.

www.rewildingeurope.com/news/articles/f ... -of-years/

Alexander