All I want is a yellow pepper!! :(

Addictedtopalms26

All I want is a yellow pepper!! :(

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I've grown a couple of yellow pepper plants from seed this year but the peppers keep going funny before their ready to pick!

Has anyone got any ideas?

Vagetarian

Re: All I want is a yellow pepper!! :(

Post by Vagetarian »

kata wrote:This may or may not help,

http://www.ehow.com/info_8233356_wrong- ... ripen.html
Yeah, I think that's the problem too.

Blossom end rot is caused by a lack of calcium in the plant but this doesn't mean there isn't enough calcium in the soil (tap water contains more than enough), it usually means there is a problem with the uptake of calcium. Bad pH, over fertilization, over watering?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

If they are outside then probably the rubbish weather this year.

If not/otherwise over watering probably.

We eat our pepper green as it saves a couple of weeks "ripening" at least, and we avoid the risk of something getting to them in that time. Ripened ones (whether Yellow/Red/Whatever) are probably sweeter though.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Well its been inside on my windowsill due to the weather, I reckon I could've been after feeding it too.. been giving it tomato feed twice a week... :roll:

:lol:

I'm gonna repot it and hopefully it'll absorb its nutrients from that instead icon_thumleft

Thanks everyone
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:I reckon I could've been after feeding it too.. been giving it tomato feed twice a week...
Could well be - I feed mine at half the recommendation on the packet on the assumption that the manufacturer is trying to make money out of me so is specifying the Max, rather than the norm. I've always been happy with my crops of Toms, Cues & Peppers

The other thing is that I buy own-Brand rather than household name brands like Tomorite, as by my calculation (based on the number of Litres of diluted solution they make) there is huge variation in price-per-diluted-litre.

For cheaper still a granular fertilizer is usually cheaper than a liquid - such as the Chempak Tomato fertilizer.