Plans for the allotment patch

Tom2006

Plans for the allotment patch

Post by Tom2006 »

Well my foray into vegetable growing has so far proved to be a disaster. I constructed a 3' x 3' patch for the kids but for some reason, probably out lovely summer weather, or lack of it, we've not had much luck. Therefore I'm going to put the idea to the kids to use it to grow my Trachycarpus seeds. icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Re: Plans for the allotment patch

Post by stephenprudence »

When we had an allotment, I wanted to try an exotic corner, but we never got to, because we gave up the plot. Sounds a good idea though.. are there not growing height restrictions on allotments?
flounder

Post by flounder »

When my kids were young, I got them growing some trachys as well, I also gave them petunia, mesembryanthemum and sunflowers. It helped them keep their interest going after seeing a single seed leaf for months on end
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

flounder wrote:When my kids were young, I got them growing some trachys as well, I also gave them petunia, mesembryanthemum and sunflowers. It helped them keep their interest going after seeing a single seed leaf for months on end
Hadn't thought of that, will try some petunias as well to try and keep their interest.

When I say allotment, I mean its a 3' x 3' patch in our garden. I have put my name down for an actual allotment where I live but its an 11 year waiting list. :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think if I had a allotment it would soon turn in to an exstention of my garden, full of tree ferns :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:I think if I had a allotment it would soon turn in to an exstention of my garden, full of tree ferns :lol: :lol: :lol:
My sort of allotment as well. icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

can someone enlighten me on what an allotment is that has a waiting list or is issued to you?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

miketropic wrote:can someone enlighten me on what an allotment is that has a waiting list or is issued to you?
A allotment is a plot of land divided up in to small gardening areas for you to grow whatever you want most people use them to grow vegetables, you pay a yearly rent on the land and its like a little community. Because the average gardens in the UK is quite small the demand is high so you are put on a waiting list until someone gives the plot up, a lot of people when they get one keep it for all there life/ until they can nolonger tend to it.
This link may help a little more http://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/.

Rob
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

This may not be a problem in the UK but I would say if we tried that over here I would return to find no vegs or fruits cus some of the other gardeners or local people walked by and took what they liked. sad to say but thats how it is.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

miketropic wrote:This may not be a problem in the UK but I would say if we tried that over here I would return to find no vegs or fruits cus some of the other gardeners or local people walked by and took what they liked. sad to say but thats how it is.
The allotments are normally left alone and are part of community's in villages, I can not speak for city's but they seem to be left alone in my opinion.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Its becoming a huge problem over here with thefts on allotments, but on the whole they are built and run using recycled sheds etc. I've never heard of grown produce going missing but sheds are always getting broken into.

I should get mine by the time I make it to retirement age. :lol: Mind you, I have no time for one at the moment so happy to be on the waiting list.
flounder

Post by flounder »

The allotments round here are very community orientated, in fact my wifes uncle often goes up to his allotment to find the community has helped themselves :roll:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Around near me they are left alone, rarely any trouble.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I helped set up this project:
http://redacre.org/
Three of us set our sights on some derelict land in the village which was carved up among 3 different owners who were all amenable to selling or making the land available. We formed a not for profit limited company in 2009 and applied for charitable grants to purchase and landscape the site. The first acre was bought from Yorkshire Water using £7k in grant monies I applied for icon_salut :D This is now 20 or so plots each a quarter the size of a traditional allotment and well used by local people. I resigned as a director once there were plenty of members to take over (I would never have had time for anything else with work and family commitments as well). The rest of the site is still under development using around £40K of secured grant money with another 20 ish plots underway.

I finally got my hands on a 45 sq m plot last Autumn which had been dug but nothing else. It now has paths, raised beds, a shed, compost area and a water butt. Garlic, shallots & broad beans were planted a week ago and my next consignment of seeds has now arrived. As well as fruit and veg I'm hoping to add an exotic touch to the planting and Dahlia seeds will go in in the next week or so along with tomato seed. My first attempt with onion seed hasn't been a success - I'm more used to growing tender stuff! Can't wait to get a row of prickly pears planted :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Quality effort Joel!! All credit to you! How hard was it to get the grants?