It's a Tomato(e)

allangreenbean

It's a Tomato(e)

Post by allangreenbean »

An unexpected visitor form when I grew tomatoes a few years ago.

It just popped up and if you look closely there are flowers and fruit forming.

It's mid January 2013, it's a tropical plant and just shows that you can get tomatoes in winter, sure it may not ripen but then again it might.
Attachments
tomato.jpg
fern Rob

Re: It's a Tomato(e)

Post by fern Rob »

:lol: you will have a early crop this year :lol:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

As long as the tomatoes grow to full size they can be ripened indoors in a bowl with a ripe banana added then a tea towel placed over the top of the bowl to keep the ethylene gas in that the banana gives off ( apples also work ). I still have a few tomato left which were ripened this way from this summers crop awaiting to go into the next salad. I usually sow my tomato seeds in the next week or two for a late May early June crop for my greenhouse and then a later sowing about mid early march for outdoor plants and a later crop. The most varieties of tomato I have grown in one season was 28 but the only trouble with growing just one plant of each variety is what to do with all those tomatoes?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I always grow Tomatoes apart from last year, when I thought I would have difficulty watering them in the drought with a hosepipe ban :lol: but will sow the seed I bought this year.

I grow Unwins Sweet Million as give about 100 small cherry tomatoes per truss, so about 600 fruit per plant,from mid July to the frosts. I grow them beside the deck so we can pick straight from the plant at BBQs etc. icon_thumright

They are much tougher than most people think, once established, and even seedlings appear in spring from fruits fallen from the previous year. Only problem is as Sweet Million is an F1 hybrid, the seedlings will not be the same. I've had plants still flowering in December outside, so could be a 12 month per year in a frost free greenhouse.
Attachments
130809 Toms 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

I think I'm right in stating the victorians grew these as an ornamental!
I went through a phase of trying the 'old' growing methods, even setting up compost bins in the greenhouse. I can guarantee of having seedlings popping up everywhere each year, inside and out...will have to bring them on to maturity to see what they turn out like icon_thumright