Figs

DiCasS

Figs

Post by DiCasS »

I've got a bumper crop of figs this year - well 3 in all :lol: They seem to be at a standstill, not changing colour, size and still hard and green. When should I be picking these? Is there a right time? I'm quite excited at the thought of eating my home grown figs, just wish they would ripen.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Conifers

Re: Figs

Post by Conifers »

Doubt that they will ripen now, they need much more summer heat than Britain gives, other than in really exceptionally long, hot summers.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Hi Di!
I've got two that I've been waiting to ripen too. Still green so I'll be interested to know when to pick them. There is loads of smaller ones from this year though! icon_cheers
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I noticed the small ones starting to grow on mine as well. This is the first time I've had 'proper' figs on it and was hopeful of juicy fruit this year.

Conifers, can't they be picked and put somewhere to ripen, say like green tomatoes???

I remember, we were on holiday, walking up from the beach, and there was a fig tree, absolutely laden with fruit. We used to pick these on the way back to the hotel, the taste was absolutely superb. I don't expect them to taste like that here (if they ever ripen) but thought they might be nice.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Have you squeezed them to see if they are soft Di?? My plant is about 6ft away from the lawn so I don't want to damage plants by walking through my border to check mine unless I can be sure that they are ripe.
A friend of mine had some on his plant last year. They looked minging but actually tasted really nice!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:Doubt that they will ripen now, they need much more summer heat than Britain gives, other than in really exceptionally long, hot summers.

I got loads of ripe figs each year from my ex-fig tree. Probably 20-40 fruit per year.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Just posted and it's gone :shock:

I'll check tomorrow Springy, but last time I felt they were still quite hard. Not so long back either, just days.

Kris, when were yours ripe? I thought I was doing well with my three :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Springy wrote:Have you squeezed them to see if they are soft Di?? My plant is about 6ft away from the lawn so I don't want to damage plants by walking through my border to check mine unless I can be sure that they are ripe.
A friend of mine had some on his plant last year. They looked minging but actually tasted really nice!
Oooops! Just re-read and saw that yours are still hard Di! :oops:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Had a squeeze of the figs today, not as hard as I thought they were, but definitely not ready to eat yet. Still hoping :D

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

If its Brown Turkey 2-3rd week of September is normal down here but with your hotter summers maybe sooner, its quite obvious when they are ripe
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Conifers wrote:Doubt that they will ripen now, they need much more summer heat than Britain gives, other than in really exceptionally long, hot summers.
I got loads of ripe figs each year from my ex-fig tree. Probably 20-40 fruit per year.
Me too. Mine is planted against a South-facing wall though, which is probably necessary in the UK. (Roots are usually constrained too). And old stockings over them to stop the Wasps eating them ...
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Don't pick yet - figs don't ripen off the tree. They will ripen over the next few weeks. We have a Brown Turkey and even last year we had loads of ripe figs inflate Aug and early Sept so this summer will definitely provide some. They are ripe once soft to the squeeze, or often have a little bead of nectar forming at the end. Be patient and enjoy - they are about my favourite home grown fruit!
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

With Brown Turkey they're not ripe until they're brown :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

DiCasS wrote:Just posted and it's gone :shock:

I'll check tomorrow Springy, but last time I felt they were still quite hard. Not so long back either, just days.

Kris, when were yours ripe? I thought I was doing well with my three :lol:

Di

From about late August I think? I don't really like figs so let the neighbours take them. Often they were over ripe by the time I noticed them.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

The fig trees around here are loaded with fruit. I was visiting a friend in the countryside in April and her tree had lots of small, unripe figs.

No idea when they're supposed to ripen, but from what others have said they do ripen in the UK, or the warmer parts of it anyway.