Figs

Dim

Re: Figs

Post by Dim »

if you plant a fig tree, use a root barrier .... and check for a dwarf version
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Been reading up on fig roots, didn't realise they could be so destructable (to sewer pipes etc.) Also the roots grow way and beyond the canopy of the tree. I've seen pics of gardens with figs planted out and always thought they looked good, but after reading, maybe not so wise. No-one mentioned a barrier. Thanks Dim.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

One of the best times of the year ...... and this is just a fraction of what is to come over the next couple of weeks. I really recommend a fig tree, but do contain the roots with paving slabs in the ground ...... plus it increases fruit yield.
Attachments
image.jpg
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

They look nice and tasty :D

Funnily enough, went to a wedding last Saturday, and you know how the Bride and Groom present everyone with a little thank you gift, well on the table was this, made by the Groom's father icon_cheers
Picture 3163 [640x480].jpg
I haven't tried it yet, but if ever I get a glut, wouldn't mind trying some chutney.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

My first go at a fig this year. I started with a bare unrooted twig in Dec / Jan, left it in the greenhouse and forgot about it, apart from a bit of feed / water. Not the biggest but its rooted and fruited, quite chuffed.
Attachments
DSC05316 (Copy).JPG
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Those look nice size fruit as well Arlon. Were they good???

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dim

Post by Dim »

my favourite jam is fig jam (on toast)

tomato jam is another, but I have only seen it in south africa
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

DiCasS wrote:Those look nice size fruit as well Arlon. Were they good???

Di
The lower fruit ripened enough for me to eat it last week, Di. Very nice as well. The other fruits are still on it but i think time has run out to ripen them , unless its possible to remove them and ripen them indoors.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

No, figs won't ripen off the tree but if they're getting close then they may still be suitable for a chutney or a jam.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Only 2 fruit and are nowhere near ripe, but the year to date here has been well below average temperature and sunshine There is no point in taking them off as are rock hard and dark green.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

This is a snippet I picked up off the net. It might be worth a try, though I'm wondering if they will be as sweet without sunshine to ripen.

"Figs ripen quickly in a paper bag for a few days on the counter, or on top of the fridge. The gasses from the fruit help the process when the fruit are together in a closed, dry space. Works for peaches, necrtarines, etc, but, watch them so they don't go too fast or far."

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

DiCasS wrote: "Figs ripen quickly in a paper bag for a few days on the counter, or on top of the fridge. The gasses from the fruit help the process when the fruit are together in a closed, dry space. Works for peaches, necrtarines, etc, but, watch them so they don't go too fast or far."
Di
It can't hurt, if all you are going to do is chuck them anyway, but I wouldn't expect much. There are a few recipes out there for using the unripe figs .... I think in the Mediterranean they 'candy' them, but it takes a bit of labour to remove the bitterness via soaking and boiling.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I opened my Fig and Olive Chutney the other day, it was eeeerm, different. :lol: I'll probably end up using it in my curries or something.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.