Figs

Conifers

Re: Figs

Post by Conifers »

At my university (Bangor, N Wales) a Fig tree by the cathedral there had small, hard green fruit (i.e., nowhere near ripe) in late October - November. By winter they fell off, still unripe. Quite a warm area there, warmer than most of Britain.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've got another few weeks then to see whether they ripen. I hope so. By the looks of the new batch, I should have a few more next year hopefully - that's if the Winter's kind again.

Thanks all.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Picked mine today! icon_cheers I haven't tasted them yet so the jury is out as to the flavour.

A lot bigger than I thought they would be though! icon_thumleft
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Dim

Post by Dim »

I have a client who as a few fig trees with loads of figs ripening

his wife gave me 2 last week, but she cut them in half, added honey, cinnamon and almond flakes, then baked them in the oven till the honey caramalised....

I was never fond of figs, but I will be planting a fig tree shortly .... that was really nice
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

they are two really nice figs there icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Springy wrote:Picked mine today! icon_cheers I haven't tasted them yet so the jury is out as to the flavour.

A lot bigger than I thought they would be though! icon_thumleft
Yours look nice ones Springy. Mine aren't so big as that but look almost ready to pick, nomnomnom.

I shall roast mine with honey as well Dim, they sound tasty. I love fresh figs from hot places, I don't know how these will compare. I hate fig rolls.

I've got five not three, so should just be enough for one desert each for the two of us :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My £1.98 fig from B&Q, in the dead plants section, as all the leaves had fallen off, but was early December :lol: produced it's first figs last year. I didn't notice them until the leaves fell, and were ripe in November. There were only 2 but were delicious. One of my favourite fresh fruit, along with dates icon_thumright

Not done too well this year as couldn't keep it watered enough in the tub it's in. Spent most of the summer wilted :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Springy »

To be honest I think I've only tried a fresh fig once so I'm not actually sure what they should look like inside. I've cut one open and eaten it and I'm still alive icon_cheers but I think it may have been over ripe! icon_scratch
Attachments
image.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Springy wrote:To be honest I think I've only tried a fresh fig once so I'm not actually sure what they should look like inside. I've cut one open and eaten it and I'm still alive icon_cheers but I think it may have been over ripe! icon_scratch
Looks ok to me :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

From what I understand, if they are soft, they are good for eating. The ones I used to pick in Santorini were very very dark skinned and real juicy. I don't know what sort they were, but not the same as I'm growing here.

They look good to me as well Springy.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Springy wrote: but I think it may have been over ripe! icon_scratch
Nope - just spot on ripe, going by the red colour. If it was over-ripe, it would've been brown inside, not red.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks peeps for the reassurance on ripeness! icon_thumleft

I might enjoy the other one more now that I know that's how they are supposed to look! icon_cheers
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I tried my first one yesterday, sweet (not overly) and juicy. The rest are in a dish just asking to be eaten. They'll be gone tomorrow :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I'd grow them, but the deciduousness is putting me off.

One of the best arid fruits, when fresh of course icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

My o/h pinched them :( Had them with his porridge this morning.

Otorongo, my plant bore fruit when it was small, but the cold took my first crop. It was in a tub as I read they fruit better with the roots restricted, but wanted it in the ground so planted it at the bottom of the garden out the way, near my greenhouse. It still isn't very big but has already got a lot of decent size figs ready to mature next year, lthough I won't see the benefits as I won't be in this garden next Summer. I shall buy another one for my next one though. I bought this one off e-bay for a few pounds, Brown Turkey, but shall have a look round and compare crops and varieties when I get round to buying again.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.