'Turks Turban' Winter Squash

Springy

'Turks Turban' Winter Squash

Post by Springy »

I've tried some 'Turks turban' squash this year for a bit of fun and a talking point to go with the other random gourds that I grow. Mum likes to use them as table decorations in winter.
I aimed to grow them over my potting shed but as the shed wasn't built in time, I had to plant them out.
I thought that they were like gourds and not edible but have recently found out that they can be eaten.

Has anyone grown them before or when would I know if they are ready to pick?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Picked this one last week! A bit early I think?!
Picked this one last week! A bit early I think?!
image.jpg
DiCasS

Re: 'Turks Turban' Winter Squash

Post by DiCasS »

Never grown them but they look great, definitely a talking point. The last but one pic reminds me of a huge half peeled orange. Weird and wonderful :D

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Well hopefully by the end of autumn I should have plenty of seeds going begging if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to a taste test in the not too distant future! icon_cheers
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'd be interested Springy if you have any spare, I'm always up for trying something new icon_cheers Interesting to look at and edible.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Mo

Post by Mo »

Squashes are ready to pick when the foliage starts to die back. Don't pick them too early. as they won't be ripe enough.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks for that advise Mo! icon_thumleft
I was going to pick the biggest one this weekend but I won't now I know that! icon_salut

I have seeds here Di from the batch I sowed this year, plus I'll send you some from the picked 'fruits' as well after harvest. icon_thumleft
Dim

Post by Dim »

those are on my list of 'must haves' for next year

cucamelons are another

and I will try gemsquash (used to grow them in south africa).... boil them, then fill them with sweetcorn and bake for a few min and you have a great meal

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

If you are picking to store Squash (overwinter) then generally speaking:

Leave late maturing varieties for as long as possible, but be sure to pick them before first frost.

Cut them off with as generous a "T" of stem as reasonable (tricky if you are also trying to leave another fruit on further down the stem)

Put the in conservatory/greenhouse in full sun for a week or so to harden the skin (but make sure it is frost free :) )
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thank you very much Springy.

I have plans on a veg garden next year, I'm quite looking forward to it as I've never seriously grown veggies before, just the odd tomato plant and such. I will get help as well from my o/h hopefully with the preparing of the ground and the heavy work (it's a lawned area at the minute so will need a lot of work). These Squash should make a nice addition and look exotic as well. :D

Thanks Kristen and Mo, those tips will come in useful for next year.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.