T&M TomTato

Dave Brown
Site Admin

T&M TomTato

Post by Dave Brown »

Not something that I would grow, but a useful space saving plant. Just a shame about the intial investment. Don't think there would be any profit in that.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetabl ... o/t47176TM
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: T&M TomTato

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

FAR too expensive, I don't see the point really?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I don't see the point really?
Space saver; grow a single plant in a 40L bag on your high-rise balcony, and have some spuds at the end of the season.

Welcome to the world of having your own estate YK where such decisions are a thing of the past :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is there no compatibility with these plants to produce a hybrid that does edible fruit and tubers?

I would find that more exciting than grafting techniques
Dim

Post by Dim »

I will try a few next year as I'm always keen to try new things ....

they claim that the toms have a brix value of over 10 (that is twice the average for tomatoes, however, the sweetness/taste also depends upon the ph/acid level as the one cancels/compliments the other)

This year, I planted several varieties of tomatoes in several gardens, and by far the sweetest/tastiest as been Sungold F1 ... these are small orange cherry tomatoes and are by far the nicest tasting of the bunch and are supersweet .... another good one has been brandywine

Even when I asked my teenage daughter to harvest some toms for a salad, she only picked the sungold (and I have several different varieties)

I will be planting several Sungold in my own garden next year .... they produce loads of tomatoes

tomatoes such as moneymaker and gardeners delight (which are the most commonly grown toms in the UK) are a waste of space IMHO when you compare the taste to sungold and brandywine

I have a grafted sweet potato in a clients garden, and although expensive, so far it as grown rampant and looks extremly healthy.... I will know the results in a few weeks time when I harvest ....

I will also try the grafted squashes, green peppers, chillies etc
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote:is there no compatibility with these plants to produce a hybrid that does edible fruit and tubers?

I would find that more exciting than grafting techniques
I imagine that GM could probably achieve that - same plant family of course. But that's an expensive business, and I doubt there would be a market for it - commercial Tomato growers grow the plants for 12 months at least, and they are 40' long or so at the end of it, so I don't think an additional crop of spuds would appeal to them - particularly the hydroponic growers! Plus growers will want numerous varieties - normal, cherry and beefsteak at a minimum - to provide the shopper with the choice they want.

Back in the '70's I remember a company trying to use tissue culture to breed a wheat variety that was crossed with a Nitrogen fixing bacteria - to create a plant that needed no fertiliser (similar to Peas and Beans). That would be a boon for agriculture.
Dim wrote:I will try a few next year as I'm always keen to try new things ....
I thought you were skint? :D Spend your money on something else, anything!, would be better IMHO.
they claim that the toms have a brix value of over 10 (that is twice the average for tomatoes, however, the sweetness/taste also depends upon the ph/acid level as the one cancels/compliments the other)
Thats' probably the same, or less, than your Sungold? Pretty much all the veg growers I know rate that variety the most highly.
tomatoes such as moneymaker and gardeners delight (which are the most commonly grown toms in the UK) are a waste of space IMHO when you compare the taste to sungold and brandywine
I have no idea why people grow Moneymaker, every year the garden centre has loads of seed packets and they fly off the shelf ... good name perhaps? Like "Golden Delicious", which I think is rubbish, compared to "Cox's Orange Pippin" - what prat came up with that marketing name? The potato we particularly like to grow is "Pink Fir Apple" - probably not a novices first choice when looking at the labels in the garden centre either :lol:

But I think Gardeners Delight is worthwhile. May not be as sweet as Sungold, but it is always the first to ripen, carries a very heavy crop and, not being F1, you can keep your own seeds which keeps the cost down
I have a grafted sweet potato in a clients garden, and although expensive, so far it as grown rampant and looks extremly healthy.... I will know the results in a few weeks time when I harvest ....
I'll be surprised if you get much of a crop if they are outdoors, will be interested to hear how that goes. The Summer has been pretty good, but I've only ever grown them successfully in the greenhouse.
I will also try the grafted squashes, green peppers, chillies etc
I don't think it is worth it if you have space. If you have space just grow a few extra plants. Exception being for things planted in the greenhouse border as it means that you can monocrop for longer without changing the greenhouse soil, and maybe an extra 10% crop, say, from a greenhouse is worth having. We grow all we need from our greenhouse, so that's perhaps easy for me to say.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

very interesting mix, i'd get one if I wanted tata's and tom's! icon_thumleft great conversation piece too!

put my name down for the spotty dotty trachycarpus basjoo :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

BUT THEY ARE £15 a plant!
Dim

Post by Dim »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:BUT THEY ARE £15 a plant!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 39501.html

quote:

Above the ground harvest more than 500 cherry tomatoes

if what they say is true, 500 tomatoes with a brix value of over 10 would sell for approx £75 (tesco sell a punnel of cherry tomatoes for approx £3 and you will be lucky to get 20 ... and the brix value of those are approx 5-6 on the brix scale as tey are harvested when they are green

add a few potatoes and you have a bargain?

I doubt that you will get 500 tomatoes though

but it's interesting and I will try a few plants next year (and keep you updated) .... I may try a couple in the large 150 litre airpots

and feed them with 'high brix methods and my 'secret compost tea brews') 8)
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kristen wrote:
I'll be surprised if you get much of a crop if they are outdoors, will be interested to hear how that goes. The Summer has been pretty good, but I've only ever grown them successfully in the greenhouse.

I had a poke around 2 weeks ago and there were loads of sweetpotatoes .... all longer than 6 inches ... the sweet potato plant as gone rampant and covers a very large area ... I think that the crop will be plenty...
Dim

Post by Dim »

Dim wrote:
Kristen wrote:

I had a poke around 2 weeks ago and there were loads of sweetpotatoes .... all longer than 6 inches ... the sweet potato plant has gone rampant and covers a very large area ... I think that the crop will be plenty...
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dim wrote:I had a poke around 2 weeks ago and there were loads of sweetpotatoes .... all longer than 6 inches ... the sweet potato plant as gone rampant and covers a very large area ... I think that the crop will be plenty...
That's good news Dim. Do you happen to know what variety it was? I've only ever grown "Beau regard" (which sounds incredibly pretentious!!), so would be interested in a variety that can give a good yield even if outside.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:BUT THEY ARE £15 a plant!
They'd go perfect in your posh soil Kris :P :lol:

Runs off
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kristen wrote:
Dim wrote:I had a poke around 2 weeks ago and there were loads of sweetpotatoes .... all longer than 6 inches ... the sweet potato plant as gone rampant and covers a very large area ... I think that the crop will be plenty...
That's good news Dim. Do you happen to know what variety it was? I've only ever grown "Beau regard" (which sounds incredibly pretentious!!), so would be interested in a variety that can give a good yield even if outside.
its this one .... (from Suttons) .... was £3 and a few pennies:

http://suttons.s3.amazonaws.com/sut/Gro ... _Guide.pdf

just read, and it's from a rooted cutting and not grafted, but I can say that it grows strong ... I'm working in that garden tommorow and will take a pic and post it on this thread
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Win a TomTato HERE
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright