T&M TomTato

flounder

Re: T&M TomTato

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:Win a TomTato HERE
Well competition is now closed, not that I would have entered. Maybe a space saver, but I feel the novelty value does not justify that sort of money.
cordyman wrote:put my name down for the spotty dotty trachycarpus basjoo
I've been working on a musa basjoo for a hanging basket. Results look good but the basket if 4ft deep and 2ft in diameter. :shock: It was so heavy I left it on the ground. Actually, some people would call it a planter :D
Dim

Post by Dim »

250 different apples .... all on one tree:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:
Well competition is now closed, not that I would have entered. Maybe a space saver, but I feel the novelty value does not justify that sort of money.
I've been working on a musa basjoo for a hanging basket. Results look good but the basket if 4ft deep and 2ft in diameter. :shock: It was so heavy I left it on the ground. Actually, some people would call it a planter :D
It's all very well to be scathing, but remember the next time you buy a miniature/dwarf plant that someone had to have the idea and work on producing the plant before you could walk up and buy it.

The original TRex plants were around £60, now they are around £10. Who's to say in a few years these grafts will not be £1 each and will give someone the opportunity to grow both toms and spuds in the same space.

On twitter the whole world seems to be buzzing about TomTato
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Dave Brown wrote:
flounder wrote:
It's all very well to be scathing, but remember the next time you buy a miniature/dwarf plant that someone had to have the idea and work on producing the plant before you could walk up and buy it.

The original TRex plants were around £60, now they are around £10. Who's to say in a few years these grafts will not be £1 each and will give someone the opportunity to grow both toms and spuds in the same space.

On twitter the whole world seems to be buzzing about TomTato
Sorry if I come over as cynical and maybe when they're offered in the pound shop I might consider getting one(I don't grow veg, so I won't).
Remember, it's only my opinion and I doubt it will have any affect on T&M sales
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:Who's to say in a few years these grafts will not be £1 each and will give someone the opportunity to grow both toms and spuds in the same space.
I thought the initial grafted Tomatoes were a gimmick - who would pay for a grafted Annual?

Now they have machines that do the grafting the cost has come down to affordable levels - with suitable rootstock it means that grafted Tomatoes can be planted in greenhouse borders without replacing the soil for many more years than was the case previously with regular seed-grown plants.

So you may well be right Dave! In fact I wondered why they were so expensive - apparently the grafting is complicated, which I presume means that they don't, yet, fit the automated grafting machines ...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kristen wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Who's to say in a few years these grafts will not be £1 each and will give someone the opportunity to grow both toms and spuds in the same space.
I thought the initial grafted Tomatoes were a gimmick - who would pay for a grafted Annual?

Now they have machines that do the grafting the cost has come down to affordable levels - with suitable rootstock it means that grafted Tomatoes can be planted in greenhouse borders without replacing the soil for many more years than was the case previously with regular seed-grown plants.

So you may well be right Dave! In fact I wondered why they were so expensive - apparently the grafting is complicated, which I presume means that they don't, yet, fit the automated grafting machines ...
Did seem a bit haphazard :lol: The plants need to be quite robust to be handled at that speed.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dim »

Dim wrote:
Kristen wrote:
Dim wrote:I had a poke around 2 weeks ago and there were loads of sweetpotatoes .... all longer than 6 inches ... the sweet potato plant as gone rampant and covers a very large area ... I think that the crop will be plenty...
That's good news Dim. Do you happen to know what variety it was? I've only ever grown "Beau regard" (which sounds incredibly pretentious!!), so would be interested in a variety that can give a good yield even if outside.
its this one .... (from Suttons) .... was £3 and a few pennies:

http://suttons.s3.amazonaws.com/sut/Gro ... _Guide.pdf

just read, and it's from a rooted cutting and not grafted, but I can say that it grows strong ... I'm working in that garden tommorow and will take a pic and post it on this thread
I harvested the sweet potatoes today ...

I'm a bit dissapointed ... 5 large ones (the size you buy at tesco)... and loads of long thin ones (small carrot size and approx 8 inches long)

it takes a lot of space ... (nearly 4 square meters for 1 plant) ... perhaps it needed to be planted earlier in the year

for the space it occupied, I thought I would have a bumper crop :lol: