What sort of apple?

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

What sort of apple?

Post by cheshirepalms »

I bought this apple tree very cheap 2 years ago and its the first time its produced fruit, trouble is it wasn't labelled, any ideas? It was very dull and green looking on the tree, but a quick wash and hey presto, couldn't even tell there was any red till then!
Attachments
apple1.jpg
Conifers

Re: What sort of apple?

Post by Conifers »

An orchard apple. :lol:

With thousands of named cultivars, identifying which it is from a single fruit is going to be impossible. Sorry!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you should try and read about how certain types taste and make a guess yourself.

also where you bought it would make a big difference to what it would likely be
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Not sure if you have, sadly, just missed it but there are Apple Days around the country, round about now, which have loads of varieties out for tasting and experts on hand to "Name" varieties that punters bring in.

Might be worth a google for Apple Day in your area in case there are still some coming up.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

It looks very tasty though CP icon_thumleft

Was watching a Year in Great Britain yesterday and they were harvesting the apples here in Hereford, not eaters but for Bulmers Cider. Not picking from the tree as I expected, but shook the trunk vigerously with a tractor attachment and all the apples fell off. First time I'd seen how they did it. It was amazing and took no time at all.

Next door they have an apple tree, some of its branches overhang our garden, and have never seen such a crop in the 16 or so years since I've been here. It's been a good year for apples/fruit here.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

DiCasS wrote:It looks very tasty though CP icon_thumleft
Looks very green and sour to me icon_aaargh