Raspberries still going strong

otorongo

Raspberries still going strong

Post by otorongo »

My variety is 'Polka', it started fruiting in late June and has been ever since. From what I've read it's an everbearer, i.e. fruits until the first frost. Each individual cane is good for 2 seasons. It spreads like a weed by underground runners so I'll have to cut it back or it will take over.

Today after work I came out and harvested a handful of berries in the dark, more berries and flowers coming.

Very good choice if you want long season cropping, just keep it in check.

In 2011 (?) people were still harvesting raspberries in January before the frosts, I wonder how long into the winter mine is going to fruit. We already had a frost in late November, but it was mild and the plant didn't bat an eyelid. The foliage is starting to get that autumnal look, but the younger canes are still light green and looking good icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Re: Raspberries still going strong

Post by GREVILLE »

Polka new to me, OT. On the allotment plot my 'Autumn bliss' is bearing right now and it would have survived at least one air frost (probably -2c or -3c).

I forgot to cut the canes of these last year and they decided to fruit on them this past July a la summer fruiting. I didn't expect the new canes that followed to flower and fruit as well.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Same here, both the old and new canes fruited this year, the old ones only slightly earlier (late June) than the new ones (mid July).
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My fruit is a little short of ripening off but one or two riper fruits I tasted this morning had a reasonable flavour. If they see off the next night or two of predicted frosts I hope the forecasted milder days to follow will bring on a little more sweetness and they should be good enough for one of Sand's out of season raspberry and apple sorbets.