Searching Pictures ?

Forum rules
Replies need to stay on topic subject and be relevant., otherwise standard HTUK rules apply.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Searching Pictures ?

Post by Dave Brown »

Searching for pictures is difficult as they are just attachments, but Aidan has suggested that if captions are added with the name of the plant or subject, he can create a search link which will pull these out.

For instance if every pic added of a Washingtonia had the name Washingtonia in the caption, together with the location, ie West Hampsted London. We could then Search for Washingtoinia, on it's own, or with London, or with West Hampsted.

It would rely on captions being written and a great many at this point don't.

Example
Dave Brown Washingtonia robusta Chalk Kent August 2013
Dave Brown Washingtonia robusta Chalk Kent August 2013
In this instance you could search
"Dave Brown" to pull up all my plants
"Washingtonia" All Washingtonia
"Dave Brown Washingtonia" All pics of my Washingtonia
"August 2013" all pics in that month.

But will rely on captions being written
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Searching Pictures ?

Post by GREVILLE »

Guilty as charged, Dave. :oops: I don't post many pics and very few of them have been captioned. I promise to be a good boy from now on and makes searches more meaningful icon_study
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Can't do that if they are externally hosted, but then the pictures can be grouped into albums.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Can't do that if they are externally hosted, but then the pictures can be grouped into albums.
If they are externally hosted that is normally where someone has tried to save time posting, then obviously we have no control so they will not show up in any searches, and what normally happens in those cases at some point, is the pics are moved and the link no longer works. When I come across those, unless there is lots of other valid information that makes sense, I delete the post or topic.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Good Idea Dave!
icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I externally host (on my blog, sometimes without including them in any articles) most pictures I include in posts here so as to reduce Dave's storage requirements, and thus I hope minimise hosting costs.