Horrorwinter 2012.

Alexander
Posts: 2448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 am
Location: Leidschendam, The Netherlands. (52 N latitude)

Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Alexander » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 am

Well what to say about this...


http://www.knmi.nl/actueel/images/tempgmt.png

Alexander


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Tom2006 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:44 am

It would seem that "normal" is a thing of the past. Why does the world weather only do extremes these days!?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
jacko
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: newtown,mid wales
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by jacko » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 am

'climate change'.oops! i've said the taboo words.
bamboos,ferns,palms,yuccas,grasses,bananas,acers and fruit trees.living with zonal denial.zone 8 apparently.


User avatar
Exotic Life
Posts: 1818
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Southwest of the Netherlands

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Exotic Life » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 am

Do you want to see the absolute records? Well i'm going back to roses and conifers again if one of my Trachycarpus going to die. If you can't grow a Trachycarpus without protection, well then it's not worth to grow palms. So possible I'm going to leave all those exotic forums. Of course in the long history wintertemperatures like this are quite normal. Compared to our last averages the last three winters where very cold and severe for us. However this winter with an incredible mild start shows us that it can be even worse. I have to admit and came back on my words to Nigel. Never thought it can be soooo cold at the coast as well. It looks like the only place where you can grow palms without worries is the absolute southwest. The place with cool summers but "mild" winters as well. This not going to stay with one night, the 850 hPa temperatures are very similair till next monday, so there are another few horrible insane cold nights coming with this snow cover.

Minimumtemperatures official weather stations.
Minimum temperatuur 03-02-2012.png
Minimumtemperatures on amateur stations.
04-02-2012 amateursstations.png


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19731
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am

Interglacials have been very short in the parst, and the current one is approaching it's sell by date.

We were told it was "MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING". Then when areas started to cool down we were told oh, "NOW CLIMATE CHANGE and as MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING occurs, some places will cool down" icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch

Now it seems quite obvious that most of the Northern Hemisphere land mass is suffering extreme cold with temps as much as 20C below norm. From Japan, thru China, Russia, Euope to UK are all in a deep freeze, and now it is extending down as far as North Africa. We have had plumes of Arctic cold plunge down to North Africa, but not at the same time as the whole of Europe and Aisa are in deep freeze. This is worrying :shock:

The only good thing is it started very late, and surely can't go on for long....I hope.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


jezza
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by jezza » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 am

2012.....we're all dooooomed :lol:


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19731
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:09 am

jezza wrote:2012.....we're all dooooomed :lol:
I didn't want to say that, but how could the Mayans have known :shock: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


Nigel
Posts: 2468
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:16 am
Location: BACK IN BLIGHTY, BRISTOL
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Nigel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:04 am

Exotic Life wrote:Do you want to see the absolute records? Well i'm going back to roses and conifers again if one of my Trachycarpus going to die. If you can't grow a Trachycarpus without protection, well then it's not worth to grow palms. So possible I'm going to leave all those exotic forums. Of course in the long history wintertemperatures like this are quite normal. Compared to our last averages the last three winters where very cold and severe for us. However this winter with an incredible mild start shows us that it can be even worse. I have to admit and came back on my words to Nigel. Never thought it can be soooo cold at the coast as well. It looks like the only place where you can grow palms without worries is the absolute southwest. The place with cool summers but "mild" winters as well. This not going to stay with one night, the 850 hPa temperatures are very similair till next monday, so there are another few horrible insane cold nights coming with this snow cover.

Minimumtemperatures official weather stations.
Minimum temperatuur 03-02-2012.png
Minimumtemperatures on amateur stations.
04-02-2012 amateursstations.png
That chart is UNBELIEVABLE. Horrible that this can happen to you guys. -20 in central Holland my god.
It just shows that even a super mild winter can be destroyed by one week of cold.
Hardypalms is now open http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk Discounts for HTUK members on request.


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by sanatic1234 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:41 am

Tom2006 wrote:It would seem that "normal" is a thing of the past. Why does the world weather only do extremes these days!?
Because of the human race Tom. But that is all i am saying we have had these talks before and they get well out of hand. :lol: :lol:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by sanatic1234 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:44 am

Could it be a build up to the next long overdue ice age? This weather system has spread over 2 continents. Well just think if these kind of systems just get bigger each year. Actually i will shut up as i may be digging myself into a big hole here. :lol: :lol:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10151
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 am

sanatic1234 wrote:Could it be a build up to the next long overdue ice age? This weather system has spread over 2 continents. Well just think if these kind of systems just get bigger each year. Actually i will shut up as i may be digging myself into a big hole here. :lol: :lol:

The answer is NOBODY KNOWS! We can hope not.


User avatar
eddie
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL Zone 7a

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by eddie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:52 am

Temp back to 0.8 in the shelters at groundlevel. Tmin was -1,3C a Washi can handle that. I still have hope the Washi's will survive.

Mt basjoo is hard. Maybe it's frozen solid? It's against the wall on the other side of my chimney, protected with straw and leaves.

If I can get the garden through this horror, I'm pretty confident for the winters to come. Or maybe I'll skip the idea of making a meditterean garden and try Japanese instead. Also exotic and more chances of succes

drunken_smilie1 icon_geek
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas


Nigel
Posts: 2468
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:16 am
Location: BACK IN BLIGHTY, BRISTOL
Contact:

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Nigel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:12 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:Could it be a build up to the next long overdue ice age? This weather system has spread over 2 continents. Well just think if these kind of systems just get bigger each year. Actually i will shut up as i may be digging myself into a big hole here. :lol: :lol:
According to the GW scientists it cant happen. The sun is in a low cycle which isnt helping. NASA say the next cycle will be flat and similar to the maunder miniumum cycle which lasted over 40 years. HOWEVER, CO2 needs to fall below 235 ppm for an ice age to happen and its over 300ppm and rising. The irony is that mans climate change that everybody is so worried about may well be what saves us (at least until the sun comes out of its dormancy in another 70 years and then it would be a big problem) .
Hardypalms is now open http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk Discounts for HTUK members on request.


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by cordyman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Exotic life when was the last time you seen those temps, or close to those temps? or havnt you? icon_scratch :shock:


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Tom2006 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Spring will be hear soon guys! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


Post Reply