Freeze Last Another Month :O

Mr List

Re: Freeze Last Another Month :O

Post by Mr List »

doesn't seem all that bad here atm.

the two days before the snow and then the day it snowed were the worst.
seems fairly mild right now.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

MikeC wrote:From the Daily Wail:

And the Met Office warned today that -13C is possible between Tuesday and Thursday in East Anglia.
Dunno where they get their numbers from ...

The MetOffice website says -3C (towards coast) to -6C (inland fens) for Tuesday night, less cold for following nights - or did I read their website wrongly?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mr List wrote:doesn't seem all that bad here atm.

the two days before the snow and then the day it snowed were the worst.
seems fairly mild right now.
Get everything wrapped/lifted tomorrow as its forecast to be -10c and lower in yorkshire tomorrow night.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I honestly don't feel like I've had a bad night's temp here so far.

Maybe having last year as my first winter as a gardener has given me a benchmark that hopefully won't get repeated for another 100 years.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:Get everything wrapped/lifted tomorrow as its forecast to be -10c and lower in yorkshire tomorrow night.
I must be looking in the wrong place ?

On Metoffice website for Yorkshire and Humber I only saw -3C / -4C for Tue/Wed night

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... _temp.html
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Arround -14 C here. I wanders what will survive this nightmare.

Alexander
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I honestly don't feel like I've had a bad night's temp here so far.

Maybe having last year as my first winter as a gardener has given me a benchmark that hopefully won't get repeated for another 100 years.
having only had a weather station for 2 years or so, and actually noticing how far out the beeb were last week,im beginning to wonder if the recent -8s and 9s around here are normal. last winter admittedly it was harsh and we felt it but so far this year,there has been nothing to indicate anything worse than i can remember in the past.
in other words,whats to say we we werent getting lower minus temps before the luxury of sitting indoors watching the temperatures??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I don't get it - Breakfast weather forecaster said "Temperatures will easily reach -10C to -12C" pointing to a chart area that said -4C & -5C

I'd like to plan .... but I have no idea what temperatures to plan for if the chart bares no relation to what they expect :(

The forecaster said that the chart temperatures was for towns & cities, and rural would be considerably lower - 7C lower? Seems a lot, but that apart it surely makes the charts give a false sense of security to town folk who venture out into the country!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It seems to be the latest thing to give town/city temps then just estimate the countryside temps. The forecaster last night showed the deep cold and said -10c and lower will be widespread, suffolk being one of those areas.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Well they got that wrong! -1C Min here (and I'm definitely "rural" !!) until 7AM when it dipped to -4C when the mist lifted - but the sun is already lifting the temperature; further inland (Cambridge-way) its still 0C and I expect they are in the freezing fog that was forecast, whereas out towards the East coast its showing -2C (but their temperatures was were around 0C until 5AM)

I've looked at at some rural Wunderground sites near York; SSE of York, -1C until 3AM then fell to -4C. NE of York -4C until nearly 1 - 2AM and then fell to -8C, but that the worst I've seen in that area, more typically 0C until 1AM then fallen to -1C / -2C.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

-2.3 this morning. I have had a negative temp for 10 days now.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

You not getting above freezing in the day? Wundergrounds around Wakefield look to have hit 4C or higher daytime on some days in last week. If not you are in a hollow or the shadow of something which is bad luck :( I hope the heat gets trapped in their in the Summer to compensate drunken_smilie1

Are you in town, or a village that is more rural?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

No sign of any real cold here. No frost overnight and above freezing now, -5 forecast for tonight.

That's a normal winter for Swindon.

After Friday no overnight frosts are forecast here.

I think the media like to talk bollox.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Conifers wrote: Here, temperatures are already virtually back to normal, light night frosts and 6° to 7° day maxima.

Yep,I reckon we've got off pretty lightly up here in Northumberland. I have 2 Borinda's - both of which were cut to the ground last winter. This year I have maybe 10% wind damage on the tops of the papyrifera but no culm die-back at all.... :D

Laz
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:You not getting above freezing in the day? Wundergrounds around Wakefield look to have hit 4C or higher daytime on some days in last week. If not you are in a hollow or the shadow of something which is bad luck :( I hope the heat gets trapped in their in the Summer to compensate drunken_smilie1

Are you in town, or a village that is more rural?

Sorry I was not clear. I have had minus temps in every 24hour period but plus temps also in every 24 hour period.