Exotic killing cold 7th Feb

sanatic1234

Re: Exotic killing cold 7th Feb

Post by sanatic1234 »

I just wish this mild air would stop messing about and take over the uk! Instead of lerking over ireland :-(
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes it seems every time we think the mild air is coming in, a severe cold night pops up in the charts.. and it's happened again.. what's more it never materialises except in the west!

-14C forecast for Midlands in a few days.. it wont happen most likely, it'll be tempered by cloud cover.

I think the message is, regardless of any forecasts, don't expect any prolonged milder weather for the forseeable future.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Where are you guys seeing these killer temps?

I'm seeing lots of -2, -3 and -4 forecasts for here. Normal winter lows.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Normal winter lows certainly but not necessarily normal February lows. At least not in this constancy.

Currently -3c here as forecast. No more predicted minuses for me as of tomorrow morning.

:DD
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

-14c icon_scratch ,ive checked wunderground,bbc,weatherchannel,etc pls tell me where you saw this??
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

+1.5C here at the moment under a nice cloudy sky icon_thumleft
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

OK ... What's a "duvet" (Doo-vet?) and what do you'z do with that thing? Also ... what's goin' on over there with that weather thang?

Cheers, Barrie.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Barrie, a duvet is an artificial, hollow fibre filled bedcover kind of like a cheaper modern version of the old eiderdown quilt. It is used as a really thick fleece blanket and draped over, rather than wrapped around, plants to capture heat from the ground.

As far as the weather goes, blame the Russians.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:OK ... What's a "duvet" (Doo-vet?) and what do you'z do with that thing? Also ... what's goin' on over there with that weather thang?

Cheers, Barrie.
Just a normal spell of cold weather in February?
At least for Southampton except for 2 cold nights it hasen't been that bad.

The worst cold is lurking just across the channel in the Low Countries and france where they have had record breaking temperatures.

I think that in Holland they have had -20c and similer minuses have been recorded.

In Southampton at least the Winters are normally even more mild then vancouver and -6 is usually only recoded once every few years and then only on one or two nights.

Other parts of the uk have had it a lot worse with heavy snow and biting winds. Eastern england because of its proximity to the continent generally in a normal year gets colder Weather then the South coast and the far West.

When you get time check the monthly differences in the Temperatures between these towns and cities and you will see what i mean.

From east to west in order.

gravesend,london,southsea,ventnor,southampton,bournemouth,torquay,falmouth,and st marys[isles of scilly].

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Well here the temperature have been around 2C below the average of what we would expect, so not a huge deficit.. however it has been much more prolonged than normal. We don't usually see cold spells with this much prolongedness

Tonight, after the temperature held up for a while, it is now falling at an extreme rate of -3C/hr. So therefore although it is -2.8C now, I can expect in between -4.5 and -5.5C by dawn tomorrow, especially considering the wind has died.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

11pm: -3c
Midnight: -1c
1am -2c

No change in wind or cloud cover.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:OK ... What's a "duvet" (Doo-vet?)
Pronounced "Doo-vey" (it's from French)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

stephenprudence wrote:Yes it seems every time we think the mild air is coming in, a severe cold night pops up in the charts.. and it's happened again.. what's more it never materialises except in the west!
West is best in a string vest.........any time of the year icon_thumleft

as me nan would say :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Very worried now with the temps in west midlands, were expecting another dumping of snow tonight or tommorrow plus last saturdays snow is still partly here :x . All my pots have been froze solid for over a week already.