YOUR Top 10 worst temps of 2012

Matcycas7

Re: YOUR Top 10 worst temps of 2012

Post by Matcycas7 »

What a great year 2012 !

1*C Vishakapatnam around mid Jan2012
11*C Hyderabad 14Jan2012

According to NDTV news report on 17th January 2012. http://www.ndtv.com/article/andhra-prad ... ter-167865
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Matcycas7 wrote:What a great year 2012 !

1*C Vishakapatnam around mid Jan2012
11*C Hyderabad 14Jan2012

According to NDTV news report on 17th January 2012. http://www.ndtv.com/article/andhra-prad ... ter-167865
And unconfirmed below freezing . . . in tropical southern India :ahhh!: YeeoW!
eddie

Post by eddie »

Nigel wrote: I think it was about as bad as it could be for Holland, so close to all time records is probably right.
Lowest ever recorded -27.4 january 27 1942. This year's low was -23.8
Matcycas7 wrote: According to NDTV news report on 17th January 2012. http://www.ndtv.com/article/andhra-prad ... ter-167865
I've read that Delhi went down to 4C. Those are some weird temperatures. :ahhh!:
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

But conversely, Kiruna (arctic Sweden) was +4 at 02.30 local time this morning! You'd expect around -25 or -30 there at the moment.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Not only that but Svalbard got +7C a couple of days ago, which was it's warmest temperature on record... in winter? Parts of the Arctic are getting their warmest winter on record, in fact some are recording their absolute warmest temperatures on record, which includes summer temperatures.

It seems extreme fuels extreme.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

stephenprudence wrote:Not only that but Svalbard got +7C a couple of days ago, which was it's warmest temperature on record... in winter? Parts of the Arctic are getting their warmest winter on record, in fact some are recording their absolute warmest temperatures on record, which includes summer temperatures.

There's only so much energy in the atmosphere and this is roughly kept in balance. So if its really cold somewhere, it will be really warm somewhere else.
stephenprudence

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Not only that but Svalbard got +7C a couple of days ago, which was it's warmest temperature on record... in winter? Parts of the Arctic are getting their warmest winter on record, in fact some are recording their absolute warmest temperatures on record, which includes summer temperatures.

There's only so much energy in the atmosphere and this is roughly kept in balance. So if its really cold somewhere, it will be really warm somewhere else.
That is true, extreme usually occurs by another extreme due to the gradient in pressure. For example South America isn't seeing anything extreme.

The Arctic and Europe practically hold hands.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:Parts of the Arctic are ... recording their absolute warmest temperatures on record, which includes summer temperatures.
Any info on details? Where, what date, what temps?
stephenprudence

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... he-arctic/

Not sure whether you'll be able to access this.. but give it a go, if not ill past some posts from it
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:[That is true, extreme usually occurs by another extreme due to the gradient in pressure. For example South America isn't seeing anything extreme.

The Arctic and Europe practically hold hands.
This part of south america has been hellish hot the last fortnight. It was 41C in Rio 3 days ago. It was almost 10c above average for a week here, yesterday 23C thank god, and today fresh too.
I wonder if GW is causing the jets to break down and the heat dissipation with it.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... he-arctic/

Not sure whether you'll be able to access this.. but give it a go, if not ill past some posts from it
Thanks! Yep, can access it all; as far as I can see, just new winter records, not all-year records.

Incredible for Longyearbyen to be the warmest place in Norway on 30 Jan!
stephenprudence

Conifers wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... he-arctic/

Thanks! Yep, can access it all; as far as I can see, just new winter records, not all-year records.

Incredible for Longyearbyen to be the warmest place in Norway on 30 Jan!
I think the records had been broken since then, definitely all time records, but I read a fair few sources. I should have saved them.. one was a journal article I think?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

eddie wrote:
Nigel wrote: I think it was about as bad as it could be for Holland, so close to all time records is probably right.
Lowest ever recorded -27.4 january 27 1942. This year's low was -23.8
Matcycas7 wrote: According to NDTV news report on 17th January 2012. http://www.ndtv.com/article/andhra-prad ... ter-167865
I've read that Delhi went down to 4C. Those are some weird temperatures. :ahhh!:
Cold wave is one of the coldest in more then 50 years indeed, some places even close to 70 years.Specially the ice days and the period from the wave have been recordbreaking. Palm leafes turning brown here already and also in this situation the southwest has been the more "milder" area. There is no palms left anymore at the east side of Breda/Utrecht if they where unprotected. Even "normal" plants where quite damaged already because the very dry (25-40% RV) and strong east winds...

Today I have been to the garden expo in Utrecht where I saw large Trachycarpus in pots also unprotected, with mean dead for sure. I know many planted Trachycarpus palms in the southwest and I saw that the most where left unprotected, so i'm quite curious how they look after this 2 week cold wave.

There are many Olive trees as well, and some very very old/big ones close nearby. So far I have seen people does gave protection to olive trees. I'll think the most people though Trachycarpus can have -16/-17C and it hasn't been that cold over here, but does forget the period of freezing.

Robbin
eddie

Post by eddie »

Exotic Life wrote:. There is no palms left anymore at the east side of Breda/Utrecht if they where unprotected. Even "normal" plants where quite damaged already because the very dry (25-40% RV) and strong east winds...

Robbin
I wonder how Rotterdam Zoo will look like this summer. They grow I think 100+ Trachycarpus all over the place. It's close to the airport, wich went down to -17.5C
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

eddie wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:. There is no palms left anymore at the east side of Breda/Utrecht if they where unprotected. Even "normal" plants where quite damaged already because the very dry (25-40% RV) and strong east winds...

Robbin
I wonder how Rotterdam Zoo will look like this summer. They grow I think 100+ Trachycarpus all over the place. It's close to the airport, wich went down to -17.5C
I'd think they'll be OK, the zoo would've been warmer than the airport (more sheltered, and heat from the animals' buildings). I'd be more worried for the tropical animals, hope none of them got bad frostbite. But go have a look and report back!