YOUR Top 10 worst temps of 2012

Exotic Life

Re: YOUR Top 10 worst temps of 2012

Post by Exotic Life »

eddie wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:. There is no palms left anymore at the east side of Breda/Utrecht if they where unprotected. Even "normal" plants where quite damaged already because the very dry (25-40% RV) and strong east winds...

Robbin
I wonder how Rotterdam Zoo will look like this summer. They grow I think 100+ Trachycarpus all over the place. It's close to the airport, wich went down to -17.5C
Indeed. I visit Blijdorp every year at least once. When I lived in Schiedam and Spijkenisse it was much more. They do grow many more exotics like Brahea, Chamerops but also bananas and some good groupe of Dicksonia's. The kangeroo area was new planted last year, proberly it will be dead. Defitnely going to visit again next spring.

Do you know where they overwinter those few very large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Conifers wrote:
eddie wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:. There is no palms left anymore at the east side of Breda/Utrecht if they where unprotected. Even "normal" plants where quite damaged already because the very dry (25-40% RV) and strong east winds...

Robbin
I wonder how Rotterdam Zoo will look like this summer. They grow I think 100+ Trachycarpus all over the place. It's close to the airport, wich went down to -17.5C
I'd think they'll be OK, the zoo would've been warmer than the airport (more sheltered, and heat from the animals' buildings). I'd be more worried for the tropical animals, hope none of them got bad frostbite. But go have a look and report back!
They would be OK I guess. That zoo is very populair and modern with some very large inside shelters where they can heat up if needed. Proberly it hasn't been the most impressive moment the last two weeks if someone visit the zoo.

For the wildlife it's a different story, many birds are died because the cold or no possibilites for food. "Normal" plants with green leafes during winter are damaged as well. This picture below is not from me, but I've seen it in the area here too. The combination hard frost for a long time with very dry air/wind isn't good either. There is a very large and beautifull Rhodendron over here in de woods and saw completly black from the frost a few days agao. Very curious how that one is going to regrow this year.
1322012123115.jpg
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Exotic Life wrote:This picture below is not from me, but I've seen it in the area here too.
Looks like Viburnum tinus. Badly burnt, and lost all its flowers, but the older leaves look OK and I'd assume it'll resprout well in the spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here in Tropical Kent

18 airfrosts so far this year
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:Here in Tropical Kent

18 airfrosts so far this year
High altitude temperatures! About 4000 meters and more. Good for Senecio and Lobelia???

Alexander

Alexander
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Couldn't imagine a Viburnum tinus being damaged. :shock:

I always wondered what it would look like, well there's my answer.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Conifers wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:This picture below is not from me, but I've seen it in the area here too.
Looks like Viburnum tinus. Badly burnt, and lost all its flowers, but the older leaves look OK and I'd assume it'll resprout well in the spring.
It is Viburnum tinus indeed. The same man had also burned Prunus laurocerasus! He lives in the north so a bit colder then here in the southwest because here in the front they are green. I do have seen some burned Buxus sempervirensas well. Big problem is like I said earlier the freezing wind -8/-10 with a very low humidity (25-40%) for the east. Evergreen bushes took a hard hit because of that.

http://www.weerwoord.be/uploads/122201212380.jpg

I think the snow cover bring us even lower temperatures but saved a lot plantes that are under the ground till spring is coming.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

stephenprudence wrote:Couldn't imagine a Viburnum tinus being damaged. :shock:

I always wondered what it would look like, well there's my answer.
Never seen it in my life before so I'll think there will be much more damage when the temperatures are really going to rise. The only positive thing most of this burned stuff do gonna grow again later this spring compared to palms and other exotics.

The average from the first 12 days of Februari in 2012 was the coldest ever! Well since the start recording in 1901 in the Bilt.

call

Post by call »