Hosepipe Ban Confirmed

Tom2006

Re: Hosepipe Ban Confirmed

Post by Tom2006 »

Kristen wrote:
Vagetarian wrote:Anglians reservoirs are 79% full
I thought the majority of Anglian's water came from ground-water / boreholes? (but if that's the case I can't see why they need a ban at all)

Ground water levels are currently at record low levels, worse then 1976!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

For coastal type areas the taking of ground water from bore holes becomes a problem as they're concerned with contamination from the pressure of sea water. Or something like that, can't remember all of what I read
If I can find it, I'll have to dig out my grey water filter that I knocked up last time they tied a knot in my hosepipe. Some updated mods for it though, storing grey water absolutely stinks in warm weather!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote: Ground water levels are currently at record low levels, worse then 1976!
Indeed, although I don't see why that matters - provided they don't go off the bottom of the borehole, or they are not consistently going down year-on-year when we have normal rainfall (i.e. extraction exceeds supply).

The place where my Father worked had massive water usage which came from their own borehole, the level hardly went down at all during '76
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Kristen wrote:
Tom2006 wrote: Ground water levels are currently at record low levels, worse then 1976!
Indeed, although I don't see why that matters - provided they don't go off the bottom of the borehole, or they are not consistently going down year-on-year when we have normal rainfall (i.e. extraction exceeds supply).

The place where my Father worked had massive water usage which came from their own borehole, the level hardly went down at all during '76
It shows how dry the landmass is. This combined with low reservoir levels and very low ground water levels makes for dire forecasts. Even with months of steady rain the hosepipe ban is unlikely to lift this year as much of the water will be taken into the land.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

One thing to keep in mind is that the water authorities will notice their income base drying up faster than the water so the bans may not last for too long.

This is what happened in Australia during the latest drought, peoples water use dropped so dramatically that it was soon realised that there would be a big gap in government expenditure, so the powers that be relaxed the water restrictions even while the drought was getting worse.

Thankfully people were more responsible than that and continued to use less water regardless.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Troppoz wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the water authorities will notice their income base drying up faster
That thought had crossed my mind.Over here many people (dunno what proportion) pay Water Rates - fixed amount per year and they won't get a hosepipe ban discount
because people on water rates aren't allowed to use a hose, so no change in revenue from them ... but for people like me, on a meter, I will use 1/3rd less water, maybe 50% less this Summer. Also, I will have put in place water storage tanks so I won't be spending that money with the water company next year either ...
flounder

Post by flounder »

Ok, all the talk has been on the assumption that summertime will dry up the soil leading to the need to water three times a day to save our investment. I'm usually a cup half full type of person but I can't see it being as hot as '76 or even the mid 80's or even '02 or any other year where the temperature reached holiday destination averages. I know I've suffered more with wind drying than anything else so maybe I should be thinking of constucting a very large wind break rather than storing dirty water :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

flounder wrote:need to water three times a day to save our investment
Last two years we had a very dry Spring and then rain almost enough in June/July and I hardly watered in August and not at all thereafter (well ... I have been watering Autumn-planted shrubs all through this last Winter, never done that before ...). My calculations are based on rainwater storage for an average year ... worse than that and I'm going to be stuffed I reckon :(
I know I've suffered more with wind drying than anything else so maybe I should be thinking of constucting a very large wind break rather than storing dirty water :lol:
In the past I have bought a roll of layflat clear plastic tubing to make a windbreak. Cut a piece off the roll the height of the plant, open it up, 3 or 4 canes to hold its shape in a circle around the plant. Can't remember exactly what size I bought but at a guess 2' or 3' width (which would be 4' - 6' circumference, or 1.3' - 1.9' diameter). Obviously looks a bit unsightly, but will help newly planted things to get established without wind-stress.

24" is about £1 / M (1M high would be enough for a single plant I guess?) 36" £1.50/M and 48" £1.60/M (but only long rolls offered at the site I looked at)
http://www.plasticsbypost.co.uk/heavy-g ... -303-p.asp
(heavier duty might be prudent ...)
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Looks like i'm in drought zone, We are a country surrounded by loads of water i don't see why can't they harness and process and clean it like they do with rain water, then would be no need for a Hosepipe Ban
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

very expensive to purify sea water- your water rates would go sky high!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

We are in the drought zone here, but thankfully not getting a hosepipe ban as despite low rainfall our local water company gets all its supplies from groundwater which collects in an area called the Hampshire basin. So rainfall from a very wide area filters down through the South Downs & ends up at natural springs just north of Portsmouth. Even so though groundwater levels are lower than at this point in 1976 & we have been advised to save water otherwise without lots of rain hosepipe bans are likely here by the summer...