I predict April will be wet and Stormy

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

I predict April will be wet and Stormy

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Apparently April should start off being very wet and wild and based on the fact that many places haven't had much rain this should be welcomed.

Anyone have a "proper" weather outlook for April yet?

Frost do seem likely this weekend....
Darlo Mark

Re: I predict April will be wet and Stormy

Post by Darlo Mark »

BBC Monthly outlook says wet and windy for the start of April. Could change though.
kata

Post by kata »

Cold enuff fer frost today

icon_sunny icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

Thats still a couple of weeks away.

The weather center can,t even predict the weather right for 3 days let alone 2 weeks in the future.

Lets see what really happens.

rgds billdango. :(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The Met Office have been suggesting for a little while that April will start unsettled. Today, they dropped the 'un'- and predict it's reinstatement about the middle of the month.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

GREVILLE wrote:The Met Office have been suggesting for a little while that April will start unsettled. Today, they dropped the 'un'- and predict it's reinstatement about the middle of the month.
Mmmmmm that`s the same met office that keeps predicting BBQ summers ( that don`t materialise) and apocolyptic Winters ( that turn out to be quite mild) :roll:
I kind of trust what they tell me about tomorrow, but that`s as far as it goes for me.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

kata wrote:Cold enuff fer frost today

icon_sunny icon_sunny
In Greenland maybe, not here.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

billdango wrote:The weather center can,t even predict the weather right for 3 days let alone 2 weeks in the future.
They can't even get it right for 6 hours, let alone even one day!

Forecast given yesterday morning, for yesterday afternoon: 15° and sunny
Actual weather yesterday afternoon: 8° and thick overcast
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They have got it badly wrong this week. We were promised much warmer temperatures when in reality its been a very cool/cold grey week. Not sure I see April being wet and stormy. I'd like it to be, so long as it is mild, but the high pressure doesn't look like going too far.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I think that we should cut the Met Office some slack here (and others that are investing money in producing medium to long term weather forecasts) as the models they are using are still in the developmental stage and should get better as time goes by :)

The weather over the UK is governed by so many factors that modelling them all is nigh on impossible and forecasting it down to the local level will always be destined to failure.

As for the April forecast for up here, well, it will be pants, as the weather is virtually always pants up here :P
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Apparently April should start off being very wet and wild and based on the fact that many places haven't had much rain this should be welcomed.

I'm taking my first time off work since August in the first week of April to do some serious gardening. If it pi$$es down I'm blaming you. :evil: :mrgreen: :wink:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Like the most of us said it's too far away. Anyway if I look to the cards now my feeling says it could be a similair spring what we have over here the last few years. Very stable, dry and because of that also warm. Somewhere I'm hope my feeling will be wrong because this time I want a hot, stable and dry summer. Something what we don't had the last few years. However I will enjoy a dry and warm spring as well :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I agree with Adam, far too much Met-office bashing going on here, especially when people don't know the whole story.

Much of what the Met-office forecast is twisted by the press, and people tend to take the presses word, not the Met-offices.

The forecast for that summer, as I recall was not as inaccurate as people might be led to believe. The Met-office for one never called a BBQ summer.. it was the press that suggested the Met-office called a BBQ summer. The Met-office were quite unfortunate in that one of their articles written about the press labelling the Met-office with saying BBQ summer - so that was quite unfortunate. The actual forecast at the time said there was a 55% chance of something warmer occurring that summer and a 45% chance of something unsettled. I remember like it was yesterday so lets not accuse companies of saying something they didn't.

I will criticise the met-office for things they get wrong, but I won't criticise them for something the press suggest they do, but in reality don't. The Met-office may not be perfect, but they're still the best forecasting body this country has to offer.

If people really think that forecasting the weather can lead to perfection, then you should not read these forecasts. It's quite clear forecast has been and always will be a experimentational device. The Met-office charge taxpayers money in order to upgrade their knowledge of the weather through research, afterall it is in our best interests (because of natural disasters etc)
jezza

Post by jezza »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
kata wrote:Cold enuff fer frost today

icon_sunny icon_sunny
In Greenland maybe, not here.
I had to scrape ice off the car this morning, i live in chesham-le-greenland :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Bob wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Apparently April should start off being very wet and wild and based on the fact that many places haven't had much rain this should be welcomed.

I'm taking my first time off work since August in the first week of April to do some serious gardening. If it pi$$es down I'm blaming you. :evil: :mrgreen: :wink:
Well I'm off to cornwall in april so hope it's not too bad. I have no weather knowledge just think we aredue a wet and wild one .