Sunshine hours in Southampton for 2011.

stephenprudence

Re: Sunshine hours in Southampton for 2011.

Post by stephenprudence »

otorongo wrote:The climate could still change in such a way that the high-sun months would become sunnier and the low-sun months would become cloudier, which would raise both the temperature and sunshine hours. Though ideally I would like overcast nights and sunny days all year round :D

One thing I've always wondered about is how the sunshine hours are not taken into account when considering temperatures for the sake of, say, growing degree days. Temps are measured in the shade and a 20C sunny day gives much more heat (=growing power) to your plants than a 20C overcast day - as long as the plant is exposed to the sun, that is.

When it's 12C and sunny I can sit in the sun in a short sleeve and shorts (as long as they're dark coloured) in a sheltered spot for hours; when it's 22C and overcast I need a long sleeve and trousers or I'll get cold after an hour.

UK climate, being so cloudy, is effectively colder than most of Central Europe, but the average temp stats don't reflect that.
One thing I've realised about climate is that the feel is basically evened out throughout Europe. For example -10C in dry air in Germany, may be as uncomfortable as 0C in humid air in the UK. Even though it is 6C on the coast, it may still feel as cold as the 0C inland.

I think relatively UK is much warmer than central Europe due to the cloud. UK would at least match central Europe if we had much more sunshine hours (in Spring/Summer/Autumn), and still warmer than central Europe in winter under the same conditions. However this depends on benign conditions for example an absence of Atlantic winds - but then the same applies for Europe to a lesser extent.

Look at the weather coming this week for example.